BYU student goes from preaching the streets to dropping beats

412

Going through the awkward RM stage was not an option for BYU student Cooper Brown, who resurrected his DJ business immediately after coming home from his mission.

[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”95″ gal_title=”From RM to DJ-2″]

Brown said that although being a DJ was one of his dreams, he never foresaw himself becoming a legitimate DJ.

“My best friend and I threw a black light dance one weekend during our sophomore year of high school. We put together a playlist of songs and got everyone dancing,” Brown said. “After seeing the success we had with this dance party, the crazy idea came to look into the cost of starting a DJ company.”

With the help of his friends and family, Brown and his friend were able to make their idea become a reality. Brown said his company, One Above Entertainment, had scheduled events and clients who showed major excitement toward Brown’s talent after two months in operation.

Ashlyn Brown, Brown’s mother, said her son had always been into music. She knew from the beginning of his career that he would be successful.

“I knew that he could do anything that he set his mind to,” she said. “His dad and I supported him in all of his endeavors, because Cooper was always very energetic and looking for things to do. When he wanted to go DJ, we told him that his uncle used to be in a rock band. He was able to borrow his uncle’s equipment until he had enough money to buy his own speakers.”

Brown said he taught himself how to DJ. It was all a matter of dedication and motivation.

“Just like any instrument, it takes practice and patience,” he said. “I became an official DJ at the age of 17. I started DJing some big events, including being a weekly resident DJ at a teen club.”

Brown knew that constant practice was the key to mastering the DJ skill, but he chose to take a two-year break when he served in the Washington, D.C., North Mission, Spanish-speaking. When he returned, his business was ready for him to pick up where he left off and build up his clientele.

Although he never regretted his decision to serve a mission, he ran into some obstacles after returning home. Brown said he had two months between his homecoming and when he started school. In those two months, he had to build his company’s name and image as well as catch up on all the music he had missed during his two years of Church service.

With his specific skill set, Cooper Brown is known to be highly involved and connected to his audience’s mood and has an overall feel toward what music he should play as well as the timing of the music.

Nursing major Natalie Cottrell said she enjoyed her experience at a couples’ engagement ball where One Above Entertainment provided the music.

“I thought he did great. I really liked that although it was a couple’s dance, he still played a lot of fun songs. He has a good mix of modern and old style,” Cottrell said. “I liked that he took requests. I think that helped him interact with the people that were there.”

Cooper Brown mentioned that he did not start off as a perfect DJ. He learned through trial and error how to smoothly transition from song to song. He explained that he tries to think four to five songs ahead in order to keep the energy of the audience built up.

Although Cooper Brown started his company and became a DJ at a fairly young age, his mother and clients said he keeps a professional standard when he conducts business deals. This level of professionalism continues to help him build up his business’ reputation.

“When Cooper was in high school, I used to listen to him on the phone with his clients. He would be so professional and tell them about the different packages that his company offered,” Ashlyn Brown said. “I used to smile and think what would these people say if they knew they were on the phone with a 16-year-old. He’s both a natural businessman and a natural entertainer.”