Most popular 2022 Halloween costumes inspired by TV, movies

562

Google’s Halloween Frightgeist mini-site released their report on the most popular costumes for 2022, and several come from movies and popular TV shows.

Ranking as the number one trending Halloween costume of 2022 is the classic “witch” according to the mini-site. Google has seen the “witch costume” as one of the most searched costumes on the internet since Disney+ recently launched the second movie for the series “Hocus Pocus.”

“Spider-Man” is the second most searched costume on the internet this year. It has risen in popularity as a Halloween costume since the movie first debuted in 2002, according to Google’s Halloween Frightgeist report.  

The list is then rounded out by costumes inspired by the “Top Gun” film, pilot costumes, Captain Jack from “Pirates of the Caribbean,” dinosaur costumes, costumes inspired by the series “Stranger Things,” Robert Pattinson from “The Batman” and Woody from “Toy Story.”

Google also reported on the most searched Halloween costumes throughout September. The results were led by classic favorites, including the dinosaur, fairy, pirate, rabbit, cheerleader and cowboy costumes.

Shoppers look at costumes in an aisle of a Halloween store. People are preparing for the 2022 Halloween season by searching for their costumes. (Jessica Penaloza)

Jared Hess, store manager of Spirit Halloween, said getting a costume is more than just what is trending at the moment. 

“From what I have seen this year, it is not what is popular,” Hess said. “It is about what genre are people connecting to the most.”

Ivone Macedo, a shopper at Spirit Halloween, shared that picking a costume for Halloween is sometimes difficult, but her decision ultimately depends on what is more popular at the moment. 

“I came to the store looking for a costume but I am not sure what to pick yet,” Macedo said. “I will probably go with the witch costume from Hocus Pocus since that is the most popular right now.” 

Although costumes are popular among humans, pets also get to enjoy the spirit of Halloween by wearing costumes. Student Carol Hand went to the Halloween store looking for a costume for her horse.

“I am getting a costume for my horse,” Hand said. “I’m looking for a costume that will look cutest for him and me.”

According to the National Retail Federation report, the most popular pet costume is the pumpkin.