Provo’s own ‘The Voice’ contestant Madilyn Paige releases debut album

929
Madilyn Paige poses during her album photo shoot. Paige was a contestant on the sixth season of NBC's "The Voice."
Madilyn Paige poses during her album photo shoot. Paige was a contestant on the sixth season of NBC’s “The Voice.”

Some people know what they want to be from the get-go: a firefighter, superhero, doctor or ninja. For others, like “The Voice” contestant Madilyn Paige, an opportunity is thrown in their path that disrupts that course but directs them right where they need to be.

Provo’s own Madilyn Paige was a contestant on the sixth season of “The Voice,” a singing competition broadcasted on NBC. Paige made it into the Top 20 before being eliminated during the playoffs round. Since competing on “The Voice” she has released her first album.

Paige was born and raised in Provo and began performing several years ago at local competitions with the support and encouragement of her family.

“When I was about 11 or 12 I did my very first performance, and all my family and friends discovered that I could sing, and that kind of made me realize that maybe I should actually do something with this and perform a little bit more,” Paige said. “That’s when I realized that maybe that was what I wanted to do.”

Local competitions were a good start for Paige, but she was wanted on a much larger stage. The producer of “The Voice” contacted Paige’s mother and invited her to a private audition. Paige said she was nervous about auditioning, but she knew it was an opportunity she couldn’t turn down.

“I had a lot of stage fright and performance anxiety. When we got the call I was really scared, and I didn’t want to do it at first,” Paige said. “I talked to my parents, and I had a vocal coach who encouraged me to do it. I realized it was an opportunity that not a lot of people get.”

While on the show, Paige continued to receive support from family and friends. Savannah Steiner, Paige’s cousin, said she always tried to support her from afar.

“It was just the coolest thing in the world to see her on ‘The Voice.’ I made sure to keep my schedule clear on the days of the nights she aired,” Steiner said. “I cheered her on from the very beginning and will continue to support her.”

“The Voice” not only gave Paige a kick-start into her music career but also gave her the opportunity to meet and collaborate with fellow musicians.

“I met Madilyn during season six of ‘The Voice,’” said Tanner Linford, another contestant. “Because we were both minors, we spent a lot of time doing schoolwork and got to know each other a little better. We immediately connected because we were the two minors from Utah. When we weren’t doing work we were usually hanging out with the other minors and singing in jam circles at the hotel.”

The experience also helped Paige conquer some of her anxieties about performing. When asked what the biggest obstacle has been thus far in her musical career, Paige said it was gaining enough confidence to perform and share her gift.

“It’s definitely been a process to get to the point where I’m not so afraid anymore. I still have fears and insecurities but it’s definitely a lot better,” Paige said.

Something most people don’t know about Paige is that she is passionate about filmmaking and a huge Taylor Swift fan.

“The person that I would absolutely die to perform with is Taylor Swift. She is definitely a role model to me and I think to a lot of other people,” said Paige. “I love her style and pretty much everything about her.”

The future is bright for the young artist, and those who know her attribute that not only to her musical talent but also her charming personality.

“I think she has a big future ahead of her. Not only is she a great singer, but she is also one of the sweetest girls you’ll meet,” Linford said. “People are automatically attached to her because of her kind nature. She is a hard worker and has what it takes to go big.”

To find out more about Paige and her debut album that was released Feb 3, visit www.madilynpaige.com/.