Utahns have opportunity to sing national anthem for 50k people

180

Anyone in the general public has the opportunity to sing the national anthem for 50,000 people at this year’s Stadium of Fire.

The Stadium of Fire has opened submissions for local artists to perform at the annual event at BYU’s Lavell Edwards Stadium.

Candidates must create a profile on Gigg.com and have their fans and friends vote for them. The voting goes through a series of rounds until a winner is picked. This is the first year Gigg has done this for the Stadium of Fire.

Singing at this event could have great repercussions for artists.

“They’ll get to perform in front of 50,000 people,” said Matty Gay, recruiter for Gigg.com and a pre-communications major. “Plus they’ll get to perform on the same stage as Carrie Underwood. For anyone who loves to sing, this would be a dream come true. Plus the $500 prize doesn’t hurt.”

Lexi Mae Walker, the 11-year-old YouTube sensation who performed for Stadium of Fire last year, said the experience boosted her career.

“Performing at Stadium of Fire helped me get more anthem gigs, and it was definitely the biggest crowd I have ever performed in front of,” Walker said. “I have had so many opportunities since then.”

Lexi has performed at NFL and NBA games, with country star Nathan Osmond, and in Japan this year. Lexi said the Stadium of Fire show was special because it has prepared all her performances that came after.

“When it came time to sing, I had a few butterflies, but they all went away as soon as I started to sing. I don’t have to get nervous about anything now.”

Gigg is taking submissions via YouTube videos until June 13 and recommends competitors enter as soon as they can to start getting votes in the preliminary rounds of the bracket-style elimination tournament.