The Velour celebrates eight years

335
Westward the Tide performs at the Velour's annual birthday celebration.
Westward the Tide performs at the Velour’s annual birthday celebration. (Photo by Hailey Gengler)

Velour Live Music Gallery celebrated eight years of business this weekend. The party consisted of two nights full of performances by some of Provo’s most popular local artists.

“We are so honored to be able to be a part of this,” said Brady Parks, lead singer of The National Parks, who took the stage at Velour’s anniversary event Friday night. “When I first moved to Provo, I saw this place and said to myself, I gotta play there. So this is just a dream come true.”

The Velour opened doors in January 2003 and has since helped launch the careers of many of today’s most popular bands including Imagine Dragons and Neon Trees.

“We’re in great company,” said Jackson Larsen of Westward the Tide, who also played at the sold-out anniversary show.

With lines of anxious fans outside trying to get into the event, it was clear that the Velour has succeeded in making its unique venue a hot weekend hangout.

“I was impressed about all the people that came out for the event,” said Michele Murphy, who attended the music gallery for the first time on Friday night. “The Velour really knows how to put on a show with their selection of bands.”

In addition to The National Parks and Westward the Tide, the bands that performed for the eight-year anniversary show included Strange Family, Young & Old, The New Electric Sound, The Brocks, Swimm and Coral Bones.

The local talent that performs at the Velour keeps customers loyal, and the venue itself continues to draw music fans with its dim lighting and exposed brick walls.

“The atmosphere is very eccentric,” Murphy said. “I enjoyed my experience, and I look forward to going back.”