Cougar Questions: Best song of 2013 and why?

589

It was a big year in the music industry with album releases from artists like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Arcade Fire. A lot of the industry music awards have already been handed out, but you probably have your own favorite songs, artists and albums of the year. So we wanted to know: What was the best song of 2013 and why?

"Lady Gaga's 'Applause' because of the KIA commercial. I think it's funny, and I like the tune of the song." — David Halliday, civil engineering, Mesa, Ariz.
“Lady Gaga’s ‘Applause’ because of the KIA commercial. I think it’s funny, and I like the tune of the song.” — David Halliday, civil engineering, Mesa, Ariz.
"To me everything's new because I just got off my mission. I'm going to say 'Hopeless Wanderer' from Mumford and Sons. I love the lyrics and the way they play the song." — Will Glade, chemical engineering, South Jordan
“To me everything’s new because I just got off my mission. I’m going to say ‘Hopeless Wanderer’ from Mumford and Sons. I love the lyrics and the way they play the song.” — Will Glade, chemical engineering, South Jordan
"'Lighting Bolt' by Pearl Jam, because they're the only band that released a good album this year." — Tyler Pehrson, actuarial science, Kansas City, Mo.
“‘Lighting Bolt’ by Pearl Jam, because they’re the only band that released a good album this year.” — Tyler Pehrson, actuarial science, Kansas City, Mo.
"'What Does the Fox Say?' by Ylvis. I think it really asks questions that are on everyone's mind." — Tim Moss, biochemistry, Cyprus, Calif.
“‘What Does the Fox Say?’ by Ylvis. I think it really asks questions that are on everyone’s mind.” — Tim Moss, biochemistry, Cyprus, Calif.
"I really like 'Let the Grove Get In' by Justin Timberlake. 20/20 Experience' all the way." — Sean Rico Fisher, sociology, Hollister, Calif.
“I really like ‘Let the Grove Get In’ by Justin Timberlake. 20/20 Experience’ all the way.” — Sean Rico Fisher, sociology, Hollister, Calif.
"I liked 'Gone, Gone, Gone' by Phillip Phillips. It's upbeat and easy to walk to when I'm going to class."  — Kea McQuivey, biology, Laie, Hawaii
“I liked ‘Gone, Gone, Gone’ by Phillip Phillips. It’s upbeat and easy to walk to when I’m going to class.” — Kea McQuivey, biology, Laie, Hawaii
"Katy Perry 'Roar.' It has a motivational message, and it's upbeat and fun." — Hannah Lange, undeclared, Pickerington, Ohio.
“Katy Perry ‘Roar.’ It has a motivational message, and it’s upbeat and fun.” — Hannah Lange, undeclared, Pickerington, Ohio.
"'You Girl' by Shaggy and Ne-yo. It's the best because it has a nice vibe and feel." — Eathyn Manumaleuna, family studies, Anchorage
“‘You Girl’ by Shaggy and Ne-yo. It’s the best because it has a nice vibe and feel.” — Eathyn Manumaleuna, family studies, Anchorage