MoviePass makes movies affordable in college

351
The new MoviePass allows subscribers unlimited visits the movie theaters for $35 per month with a one year contract. (Photo courtesy of MoviePass.)
The new MoviePass allows subscribers unlimited visits to the movie theaters for $35 per month with a one-year contract. Photo courtesy MoviePass

MoviePass is a relatively new service that provides unlimited theater tickets to subscribers for $35 per month with a one-year contract.

The service has BYU students talking about the pros and cons associated with the recent innovation in the movie-going experience.

The service is available for use at Provo’s Carmike Wynnsong Cinemas, Spanish Fork 8 Cinemas, all Cinemark theaters in the Provo and Orem areas and many other theaters nationwide.

Many students feel that the movie theater experience is too expensive, deterring them from going. This is true of Elisabeth Morrison, a Middle Eastern studies major from Edmonton, Canada.

“Oftentimes, I decide to skip out on group trips to the movies because of limited funds,” Morrison said. “I love MoviePass because it means my social life doesn’t have to be restricted like that anymore.”

While many students showed interest in MoviePass, some expressed doubt regarding the service.

“It only really helps people who have money and go on several dates a month,” said Neil Longo, 20, a history major from Glendora, Calif.

A similar doubt was expressed by Kristin Young, 22, a recent BYU graduate from Pittsburgh.

The new MoviePass allows subscribers unlimited visits to the movie theaters for $35 per month with a one-year contract. (Photo by Samantha Williams.)

“I think that MoviePass is a cool idea, but I think it is too expensive for college students,” Young said. “Personally, I do not go to enough movies each month to get my money’s worth out of (it), especially since I go to $5 Tuesdays at Wynnsong.”

Married students also find MoviePass to be intriguing although potentially too expensive. This is the case for Cameron Nielson, 22, from Mission Viejo, Calif.

“I would never pay $35 per month to go to the movies,” Neilson said. “For (my wife and me) to get our money’s worth, we would have to see two movies a month for the whole year, (and) there aren’t enough good movies coming out to motivate me to go to the theater that many times.”

MoviePass has yet to catch the masses of Provo. With so much potential in the upcoming fall movie season, the fate of the service is in the hands of movie-goers.