Prospective Missionary Fireside stressed preparedness

507

President Cecil O. Samuelson stressed the importance of being spiritually prepared to serve a mission at The Prospective Missionary Fireside on Wednesday.

At the start of the fireside, President Samuelson said that this is not only an exciting time in the lives of prospective missionaries, but in the history of the Church.

“The power that comes with (the missionary age change) will be pentecostal,” President Samuelson said. “There are millions waiting for you. It is hard for them to hear the message if we aren’t fully prepared.”

President Samuelson addressed prospective missionaries on Wednesday. (Photo by Sarah Hill)

He said some ways prospective missionaries can prepare are through keeping the commandments, resolving conflicts before leaving and studying the scriptures.

“If you have things that have not been resolved, now is the time to fix them,” President Samuelson said.

Due to the mission age change, the time missionaries spend in Missionary Training Centers was decreased by one-third, according to lds.org. This pushed missionaries to see the the importance of spiritually preparing beforehand.

Kaylee Dudley, a freshman from El Dorado Hills, Calif. and a prospective missionary, attended the fireside.

“What stood out to me was if I prepare myself, I will know what to say when the time comes,” Dudley said. “I’m worried about being able to express myself. It meant a lot.”

President Samuelson shared his own experiences preparing for a mission while fulfilling his military obligation as a cook. He said he had more time alone than ever before due to to his morning shift and used this time to study the Book of Mormon.

“I read the Book of Mormon to graduate from seminary, which is different from reading the Book of Mormon to understand it and its teachings,” Samuelson said. “I went through the serious process of reading the Book of Mormon.

President Samuelson said students are very lucky to have “Preach My Gospel” and he hopes that they are devouring it.

“You should be working to treasure up the words, not treasuring up video games,” President Samuelson said.

Prospective missionaries listened to President Samuelson speak at a fireside on Wednesday. (Photo by Sarah Hill)

President Samuelson reassured prospective missionaries that they will receive help if they prepare themselves.

“Do not let the adversary tell you that you are inadequate,” President Samuelson said. “Who the Lord calls, he qualifies.”

Alise Coppin, a freshman majoring in human resources, said that this quote stood out to her from the fireside.

“I’m going to the Philippines,” Coppin said. “It’s a little overwhelming. I liked having that realization that the Lord will help me through everything.”

President Samuelson said he hopes students will work to become lifelong missionaries.

“Make this the time of your life when you can show God how much you love him,” he said.