BYU grad Jason Perry is now a Ute Vice President

483

The rivalry between the University of Utah and BYU is more than a competition.  It’s a tradition instilled in the blood of every Cougar and Ute.  Every Cougar knows blue is best and to switch teams would be unthinkable.  But for Jason Perry, Vice President for Government Relations at the University of Utah, the “forbidden switch” came with the job.

Perry said it was BYU’s academic status that helped him decide to become a Cougar.

“I chose to attend Brigham Young University because of its outstanding academic reputation and the educationally centered culture,” Perry said in an email.

After a rigorous internship in Washington D.C. as part of the Washington Seminar program, Perry decided to major in political science and minor in communications.  He said that internship is where he became determined to follow his interests in political science and ultimately, attend law school.

[media-credit id=169 align=”alignleft” width=”130″][/media-credit]
Jason Perry, BYU graduate, is vice president of government relations at the University of Utah.
Perry said that out of all his education experiences at BYU, his time interning with the Washington Seminar program was the most influential part of his education.  He said that internship set the stage for his current job at the University of Utah.

“The experience I had in Washington D.C., working and studying with other students and working on Capitol Hill, solidified my desire to attend law school and engage in public service,” Perry said.

The importance of education was the most poignant lesson Perry said he learned as an undergraduate student at BYU.

“I came to appreciate professors who were dedicated to helping students become passionate about what they were learning,” Perry said.

He said that even after graduating from BYU, the value of the education he received here keeps on growing.

“In truth, the value of my BYU [education] continues to increase,” Perry said. “I have often reflected on the knowledge I gained as an undergraduate in order to fulfill the different roles I have played in state government and higher education.”

Perry said that what he learned during his time as an undergraduate student at BYU has had (and continues to have) an effect on his life, but the most significant thing he gained was not learned in a classroom.

“What I learned during my time at BYU has influenced every facet of my life,” Perry said. “But undoubtedly the most important was meeting my incredible wife, Mary Catherine.  BYU was a great influence, which led me to an even better one.”