Letter: Produced or processed

74

I must commend the prize-winning food science students and professors for their hard work and perseverance as described in “When in Doubt, Bread & Fry (12/1).”

However, it’s hard for me to get excited about the thought of yet another ‘value-added’ food product taking space in grocery store freezers.

The last thing our nation needs is another processed, preservative-filled concoction to distract people from buying foods in their natural, unprocessed state.

What would excite me is news about an increase in demand for fresh produce, whole grains and other minimally processed foods.

While I can see the value in food processing and preservation for emergency circumstances such as disaster relief and food storage, I don’t think anyone on our campus lacks access to fresh fruits and vegetables — foods that don’t require lab intervention to be enjoyed.

While Congress debates whether frozen pizza should count as a vegetable in school lunches, how is BYU contributing to our nation’s struggling food culture?

I’d rather see our college’s resources go toward promoting foods that contribute to our health rather than succumbing to the misguided demands of our nation’s corporate food industry by churning out unnecessary food products.

Amanda Verzello
Scottsdale, Ariz.