Letter: Clothes for performance

78

To the authors of “The Chaffage Challenge (9/15),” I believe it was never the intention of past authors to ridicule BYU athletes for wearing uniforms appropriate for their sport.

Clearly, it’s obvious BYU would not allow school sponsored sports to issue uniforms or gear that was unreasonable for their athletes.

However, I tend to agree with previous authors, we can all step it up in following the Honor Code with exactness.

We don’t need to look for reasons to lower our standards.

I respect your argument: athletic training is made easier by clothing that would certainly not be allowed in the classroom and I wouldn’t expect BYU cheerleaders to go to a performance wearing bonnets and petticoats.

However, I don’t believe one should look for reasons to wear clothing an endowed member of the church couldn’t wear.

I thoroughly enjoy running, and when I do, I always run in knee-length basketball shorts and a T-shirt.

In fact, I’ve run 11 miles at a time wearing modest clothing.

Now, when I run, it’s not like a BYU cross-country team member at an official event.

Would it be easier for me, or any other BYU student, to lower my standards to make informal exercise easier? Perhaps.

But, does the Lord expect us to make a faithful, sometimes inconvenient, effort in order to better live by His laws? Absolutely.

So let’s all try to do our best to be a little more exact in our obedience.

Ephraim Hernandez

Highland