Governor candidate on 19th day of hunger strike

74

By Rachael Wilson

Ghandi, Martin Luther King Jr. and Thoreau have all served as role models for this year’s gubernatorial candidate for the Independent American Party and his plight for justice.

Jeremy Friedbaum, the Independent American candidate for governor, is now on his 19th day of a hunger strike.

Friedbaum said he is refusing to intake any calories until he is either allowed to debate or the debates end.

“I am prepared to fast for up to 40 days if necessary. I have the will do it,” Friedbaum said.

The strike began when Friedbaum realized he was excluded from the 12 gubernatorial debates.

“A person can only get pushed so far before needing to do something,” Friedbaum said.

Friedbaum said he has different views on important issues facing the elections. Education was the one he felt strongest about.

“While education is supposedly the No. 1 priority in this election, I am the only one fighting for parental choice,” Friedbaum said.

Friedbaum said the other candidates want to keep a government monopoly while he believes parents should have direct control.

Land is another issue the candidates differ on. Friedbaum said he blames Gov. Leavitt for the loss in hundreds of thousands of acres of Utah land.

“The Constitution does not give the federal government right to control any land other than post offices and military land. I would like to see Utah back in control of Utah lands,” Friedbaum said.

In conjunction with Friedbaum’s plight for justice, he is refusing to take money to fund his campaign.

Instead, Friedbaum said he is funding his campaign through volunteers.

Volunteers are responsible for printing off campaign materials from the Internet and then distributing the materials to various voting districts.

“The reason we don’t have a lot of money is because we don’t court special interests. A successful candidate who doesn’t take special interest groups’ money is their worst nightmare,” Friedbaum said.

Friedbaum’s said his crusade for justice is not only morally but also spiritually based.

“Five years ago I realized the commandments of God and the teachings of the latter-day prophets tell us what is right and wrong in politics,” Friedbaum said. “I am fighting for what is right because I love God. I want to see this country fulfill its potential under God.”

As for his health after fasting for over 440 hours, Friedbaum is feeling well.

“I wish everyone felt as good as me, only with a little more energy,” Friedbaum said.