True feminism

208

My high school teacher, Mr. Akins, asked the question again, “Are any of you feminists?” Perhaps one or two of my 25 classmates raised their hand. At the time, I didn’t consider myself a feminist, because feminists wanted to take over the world and have men be their slaves. It wasn’t until I was educated about feminism that I learned I had always supported it.

Equality. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines “feminism” as “the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities” (“feminism”). Therefore, those who believe men and women should have equal rights and opportunities should be considered feminists. Yes, the dictionary says you are a feminist. The equality of men and women is even a part of the gospel. The Lord stated in “The Family: A Proclamation to the World” the sacred responsibilities of both husbands and wives and then added, “In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners.” Equality between men and women is at the heart of the family and the gospel.

Even after understanding the definition of feminism it may be hard to say the words “I am a feminist” out loud. The connotation of the word has changed as extreme feminist groups have reached the media. Others’ perceptions, however, should not alter our own convictions of the truth. The word “Mormon” has its own connotation in society. Many people believe Mormons are still polygamists because extreme groups have appeared on the news, but that doesn’t mean I am going to relinquish my beliefs or start telling people I’m not a Mormon. The LDS Church has embraced the name and tried to change the connotation. “Mormon Messages” is a campaign devoted to spreading the truth about everyday Mormons (maybe I’ll start “Feminist Messages”).

Kaden Woolf
Spokane Valley, Washington