Facing the heat

102

Deaths, murder, black people, police gunshot, bang, bang, bang! If I was 5 and watched the media right now, this is what I would understand the United States to be. On Aug. 9, 2014, Michael Brown was shot and killed by Darren Wilson, a Ferguson, Missouri, police officer. Sept. 10, 2014, Darrien Hunt was shot and killed by police in Utah. Is our law enforcement using too much enforcement, especially toward minority race groups, or are these shootings something that is required for the safety of us all?

I spent much of my last two years surrounded by African Americans in some of the slums of the Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C. area. It was interesting to see the deep mistrust between the different races.

Throughout the last 10 years the number of custody-related deaths per capita has increased, and African Americans are four times as likely to be killed as white Americans.

Accountability is the key. “Preach My Gospel” teaches us that accountability “is a principle that influences how you begin, how you think and feel about the responsibility the Lord has given you, how you approach your work, and how well you endure.” Body cameras are the solution to raising accountability for our police force. Raise your voice, speak out in social media, and bring pressure to those who need to be held accountable.

Brandon Ekins
Portland, Oregon