The Women’s Network opens chapter at BYU

371

The Women’s Network, a collegiate women’s networking organization, is opening a chapter at BYU.

“BYU members are going to add a lot of value to our network, given their talent, their intelligence. We’re really excited to launch on campus,” The Women’s Network founder and president Jamie Vinick said, “We believe there is a huge need for The Women’s Network on the BYU campus; there is this void we are hoping and believe we can fill.”

BYU’s chapter of The Women’s Network is a part of 100 chapters opening across the United States and Canada, putting the total number of chapters at 142.

Vinick started the organization at Syracuse University in 2017, feeling the need to create a women’s networking organization. Now, The Women’s Network currently boasts 25,000 members, making it the largest collegiate women’s networking organization in the nation according to its press release.

BYU The Women’s Network is one of 100 new chapters of the organization opening across the United States and in Canada. “BYU members are going to add a lot of value to our network, given their talent, their intelligence. We’re really excited to launch on campus,” The Women’s Network founder and president Jamie Vinick said. (@thewomensnetwork_byu on Instagram)

The chapter’s goal

BYU The Women’s Network now joins the other 141 chapters and provides a great experience for female BYU students through networking, Vinick said.

“What BYU The Women’s Network members can expect is a great experience; both on their own college campus and in the network, connecting and meeting more ambitious women at the BYU campus and in the network, really now across the world,” Vinick said.

BYU students interested in The Women’s Network can learn more about the organization on its website, and Vinick encourages them to fill out a membership form.

Once in the network, BYU members are encouraged to apply into leadership opportunities and as campus ambassadors. “It’s a really great opportunity to connect with, work with, learn from other women on campus now in the network, develop your leadership and even build more confidence,” Vinick said.

BYU The Women’s Network is accepting applications for executive board and campus ambassador positions. The deadline is Aug. 1.

Along with the networking opportunities, BYU The Women’s Network members can expect opportunities to develop skills related to their career.

“I’ve met so many incredible people. It’s changed my outlook on a lot of things, in terms of networking and career searching,” The Women’s Network recruiting intern and member Lara Janosz said. “Something I want to emphasize is that I’ve been learning skills in this network that I’m going to carry forward for the rest of my life after I graduate college, into my career and beyond.”

No matter what event members attend, the organization aims to value their time by making it a quality one, Vinick said.

A key part of the chapter’s goals is inclusivity, which the organization offers by allowing members of all majors, backgrounds and schools to join, said recruiting intern and member Nitya Parasuramuni.

The Women’s Network’s account management intern and member Elsie Jacobsen said the organization offered better inclusivity compared to other clubs at Vanderbilt University, as it created a sense of community for her.

“The executive board and all members knew me by my name and that was so cool for me. I felt that I was actually seen by them, instead of feeling excluded (at) other organizations,” Jacobsen said. “I loved the inclusivity factor at The Women’s Network.”

Ambitious women

Cornell University The Women’s Network members pose for a photo at an event. BYU has also opened a chapter of the organization. (The Women’s Network)

A key component of The Women’s Network is ambition, particularly connecting ambitious women of all industries, Vinick said. Part of the network’s mission is “cultivating ambition in order to prepare the next generation of leaders.”

To cultivate ambition, the organization aims to redefine the word “ambitious”, since it is often used as an undercover insult for women according to the network’s mission statement.

Even with The Women’s Network opening 100 new chapters and amassing 25,000 members, Vinick still aims to expand the organization.

“You mention 25,000 now, which is a number we’re proud of. My response is, we’re just getting started, we have so much work to be done. As we grow in size the more powerful we become, the more beneficial it is for everyone in the network because more people have more access to connections and opportunities,” Vinick said.