Seasonal depression: More than the winter blues

28

More than just the winter blues, seasonal depression begins in early adulthood and resurfaces every winter for four to five months. 

“I noticed it pretty young when I noticed that I was experiencing seasonal depression, and it’s something that I have dealt with every year since, and I just turned 22,” said Bridget Cahill.

Experts say seasonal depression is more common in Northern climates. This Brigham Young University student noticed a difference in his mood when he spent a winter in the warmer and sunnier North Carolina.

“In North Carolina, the winters are not hazy like they are in Utah…out there it’s sunny, and it’s still green in the wintertime. That’s kind of when I noticed it, because I was like, ‘I’m still upbeat. I’m still happy, but it’s January,’” said Jackson Nadauld. 

Due to Daylight Saving Time, the sun has been setting earlier and earlier. It’s almost pitch black here in Provo, but it’s only 5:30. This darkness causes problems for our friends with seasonal depression.

“Turning your lights on at 5 p.m. is pretty rough, especially for seasonal depression,” said Milo Romney.

Cahill shares her advice to those who might be experiencing seasonal depression: “Just kind of opening up to someone and processing in a different way is really helpful. And it kind of lets you realize as the person experiencing seasonal depression, that more people go through it then you realize. And it’s not a fight you have to fight alone.”

This winter season, take care of your mental health.