BYU hockey loses to Montana Tech

Natalie Bothwell
Benjamin Gantt fights for positioning against a Montana Tech defender on Saturday night. . (Natalie Bothwell)

BYU Hockey ends their home season with back-to-back losses against Montana Tech on Friday and Saturday night.

The first game looked positive for the Cougars with a quick goal by Ben Gantt 2 minutes after the opening face off. The Cougs kept the intensity up and outplayed Montana Tech and lead 2-1 at the end of the second period, but The Orediggers came back in the third period to win the game 4-2.

“We played a good game,” BYU head coach Ed Gantt said. “We paid for a couple of mental errors. Montana Tech is ranked number 7 in the west, but we matched them shot for shot.”

Montana Tech scored first midway through the first period in the second game, but the Cougars kept the pressure high on Montana Tech’s defense by continually putting shots on the goal. The Cougars remained scoreless despite the amount of shots on goal.

The second period brought no better luck for BYU as Montana Tech maintained control of the period and scored three times within three minutes. The Orediggers lead 4-0 at the end of the second period.

BYU goalie Scott Mehr noted that the second period was a turning point for Montana Tech.

“there were a couple of bad bounces in that second period that cost us the win,” Mehr said.

The third period began with two quick goals by BYU to put them on the scoreboard. Though the Cougars weren’t able to score to come back and win, they kept the energy high and maintained control of the puck until the end of the game.

Overall, Coach Gantt was pleased with the resilience of his team.

“Tonight we didn’t cave,” Gantt said. “All the way to the end we did not quit. They decided to take ownership and that things were going to be different. We came out on fire and didn’t give up. The puck didn’t go our way but we had a ton of good chances against a good team.”

“It’s been incredible playing for BYU,”  Aaron Cox said. “They’re an incredible group of guys to play with. They’ve been my family the whole time I’ve been here. I’ll keep coming back and supporting them as long as I can.” Mehr and Chris Tuttle also played their last home game as Cougars.

The Cougars will play next in the Wasatch Cup Tournament at Weber State January 29 and 30.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email