Detmer, Lamb and Tuiaki speak to media for first time

214
Natalie Bothwell
New offensive coordinator Ty Detmer answers questions from the media. Detmer said it was “surreal” to be back as a coach. (Natalie Bothwell)

New BYU football coaches Detmer, Ilaisa Tuiaki and Ed Lamb spoke to the media for the first time since being hired on Tuesday afternoon.

Detmer joins the staff as the offensive coordinator, Tuiaki as the defensive coordinator and Lamb will coach tight ends and special teams under head coach Kalani Sitake.

It is a reunion for several members of the coaching staff, as Sitake and Lamb played together at BYU while Sitake and Tuiaki coached together at Oregon State and Utah.

Tuiaki said that although he has “the utmost respect for Gary Andersen,” he referred to Sitake as “my guy.”

“It’s hard to turn your guy down. He has helped me a lot in my career,” Tuiaki said. “It was hard to leave Gary, but at the same time it was leaving to be with another guy I trust. For me, it was a win-win situation.”

Lamb and Sitake stayed in touch over the years and have had conversations about coaching together.

“I think it was always clear if either one of us had the opportunity to be the head coach here that the other one would want to join,” Lamb said. “I always felt like if he got a head coaching job I would want to be part of his staff.

Detmer described coming back to the BYU football program as a coach and former player as “a little surreal.”

In regards to question of who will start as quarterback, Detmer said having players competing for playing time at the same position is a good thing.

“I told the guys today there should be competition at every position and that’s what makes you great,” Detmer said. “Not that you can’t work together through it. Everybody just needs to focus on being the best player they can be and let the coaches figure out the rest.”

The Cougars will kickoff their 2016 season with a Sept. 3 matchup with the Arizona Wildcats.