Romney still being encouraged to run for President

185

Despite continual encouragement to run, Mitt Romney remains adamant about his dormant position.

The former 2012 GOP nominee said he’s still being encouraged to run for president in 2016, even by a fellow Republican candidate already in the race, according to an article published by the Washington Post on Jan. 4.

FILE - In this Aug. 30, 2012, file photo Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney speaks at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla. The presidential election cycle is at a point when speculation starts swirling that the primaries won't produce a clear winner and one of the parties' big nominating conventions will dissolve in chaos. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak, File)
Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney speaks at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak, File)

“Every day I get a call or letters,” Romney told the Washington Post. “I go to church, I get harangued at church. ‘Oh, you’ve got to run!’ Look, I had one person who was running for president, and I won’t give you the name … called me and said, ‘I hope you don’t close the door. We may need you.’ That’s a person running for president! A candidate. A Republican. I’m not giving it a second thought.”

Romney has expressed his concern over Jeb Bush’s electability, which may be a major reason for the encouragement for Romney to make a third run for the White House. According to the Washington Post, if the election came down to Bush and Clinton, it would be “too easy for the Democrats,” which is something he expressed to Bush during a private meeting in Utah on Jan. 22.

The former presidential candidate visited Brigham Young University in 2014, where he encouraged students to remain true and faithful.