BYU lands two Easton All-Americans

176
BYU shortstop J.C. Clayton catches a pop fly. The Softball team is in St. George at the Red Desert Classic tournament. (Photo by Chris Bunker)
BYU shortstop J.C. Clayton catches a pop fly. Clayton is BYU’s 10th player to be named an All-American. (Photo by Chris Bunker)

Out of 291 Division I Schools, BYU softball landed two of the 28 players on this year’s Easton All-American teams.

Gordy Bravo, a freshman right-fielder from California was named to the Division I First Team, making her the 11th player in BYU softball All-American history.

J.C. Clayton, a senior shortstop from California, has also been honored and named to the Division I Second Team, making this Clayton’s second year as an All-American and BYU’s 10th player to be named.

Bravo and Clayton were just two of the 28 players who were honored in Division I softball this season, an honor given to those who, as Easton says, “have an outstanding season in the circle and show Easton power and prowess at the plate.”

Bravo earned Freshman of the Year and first team accolades in the Pacific Coast Softball Conference; she led the conference in batting average at .385. “I was shocked when my coach told me the news … being a freshman, it is really cool to be honored with these amazing players. I’m super humbled,” Bravo said.

Clayton was named to the PCSC First Team All-Conference and was chosen as the PCSC Co-Player of the Year. She also took the overall career records in hits (302), at bats (759) and stolen bases (47) at BYU.

“In baseball you strive to receive awards and possibly get drafted, but in softball this is the award you strive for,” Clayton said. “It’s humbling.” She noted that while the award is an honor, this accomplishment is bittersweet, marking the end of her softball career at BYU.