New freshman need to prepare for diverse weather in Provo

258

With four distinct seasons each year, sometimes all in the same day, BYU students have to prepare for a wide variety of weather conditions while attending school.

Because BYU students are from many places, the weather may come as more or less of a shock. For those coming from warmer climates, the cold months of winter may seem challenging.

Courtney Lisonbee, a BYU graduate from Valencia, Calif., said she loved her time in Provo, but hated the cold weather.

“Sometimes when I would look outside and see the snow coming down I just wanted to cry,” Lisonbee said. “I hated having to trudge through the freezing cold snow to get to class.”

Lisonbee said in the winter months it is important to wear a warm, waterproof pair of shoes and a good coat. She said it’s important to also wear a lighter layer under your coat because once in class, the rooms are heated and it’s easy to get too warm.

Brittany Henderson, a junior from Hollister, Calif., studying advertising, agreed it was hard to adjust to the cold weather of Utah at first.

“My first semester at BYU, I thought I was going to die I was so cold,” Henderson said. “But then my mom sent me a really good coat, and it helped make the cold a lot more bearable.”

Henderson said although the cold winter months at first were hard to handle, she eventually got used to them.

“I’m sure students from colder climates don’t mind the snow here in Utah,” Henderson said. “And, the spring, summer and fall here are gorgeous, so it makes up for a few months of dealing with snow.”

Utah weather changes frequently. According to about.com, “Utah is also not subject to too many weather extremes like tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards or killer heat waves. Its most prominent weather extreme is extreme dryness, but extreme heat, cold, rain, snow and wind are also possible.”

“Over the course of a year, the temperature [in Provo] typically varies from 20°F to 91°F and is rarely below 7°F or above 98°F,” according to weatherspark.com.

It also said the warm season lasts from June 15 to Sept. 11 with an average daily high temperature above 79°F. The cold season lasts from Nov. 19 to Feb. 28 with an average daily high temperature below 45°F. The coldest day of the year is Dec. 28, with an average low of 20°F and high of 34°F.