Cougars set to play Utes, WCC foe

178

The BYU women’s tennis team heads to Salt Lake City on Saturday to play in-state rival University of Utah to end their eight-match road trip and then returns home on Monday to take on the University of San Diego.

The Cougars (4-8) have struggled to keep momentum this season, but are coming off a big win over Boise State and hope to continue against Utah confident.

BYU coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said the team loves having the rivalry with Utah and knows more emotion goes into this match than others.

“The girls are doing well right now, it’s just a matter of keeping our focus and being focused going into each match,” Jones-Spencer said. “We’re just going to focus on playing our game and being really aggressive, and taking it like any other match.”

The Utes (7-5) are coming off home losses to No. 5 Stanford and and No. 10 California; however, the Utes are ranked 28th in the country, their highest ranking in more than 20 years.

Along with two other freshmen on the team, this will be Morgan Anderson’s first rivalry match against Utah in the regular season.

“They’re a big rival for me personally because I was deciding between the two [schools], but I chose BYU,” Anderson said. “I just want to take pride in the school that I chose and I want to beat [Utah] really bad.”

Junior Andie Young has had to watch from the sidelines most of the season so far due to injuries, but resumed doubles play two matches ago and is excited to be back in time to play in the rivalry match.

“I’ve had more time to get ready, mentally ready and physically ready,” Young said. “I’ve never been more excited to represent BYU.”

The Cougars and Utes face off Saturday at the Eccles Tennis Center at 11 a.m.

The Cougars return home Monday, which marks BYU’s first West Coast Conference match against the University of San Diego.

“We’re all really excited to start our conference play and see where we stand a little bit,” Jones-Spencer said.  “San Diego will be a good match for us to start at home.”

The Toreros, currently 3-6, play UC Irvine Friday before traveling to Provo for Monday’s match at 11 a.m. on the indoor tennis courts. Admission and pizza is free.