BYU gains redemption over St. Mary’s in a blowout game

120

The BYU women’s basketball team lost to St. Mary’s back in December in the Cougars’ first contest in the West Coast Conference. Instead of letting that game derail it, BYU came out strong and victorious in Saturday’s rematch, showing no mercy.

The game started off physical as tension hung in the air between BYU (21-4, 9-2) and St. Mary’s (16-8, 7-4). Senior Kristen Riley started the game off with the first four points and the team rebounded aggressively. BYU dominated St. Mary’s, 83-47, in the up-tempo game, proving that it belongs in the WCC.

[media-credit name=”Sarah Strobel” align=”alignleft” width=”200″][/media-credit]
Kim Parker, 4, shoots against St. Mary's on Saturday in the Marriott Center.
Early on, the Cougars kept up their defense, forcing St. Mary’s put up shots as the shot clock ran out. The Cougars went man to man to keep the Gaels scoreless for nearly six minutes, leading to a 9-2 BYU run.

“I”m really happy with how the team played today,” BYU coach Jeff Judkins said. “I think this was the first game that we played both ends of the defense, both the press and half-court defensive, very well.”

Sophomore Jennifer Hamson scored 18 points, a season high and tying her career high. She also had six rebounds.

“For me this was a big game; I wanted to do as well as I could every minute I was in,” Hamson said.

The Cougars held the Gaels to 25 percent shooting from the field, and St. Mary’s was only able to hit one 3-pointer. BYU wasn’t selfish with the ball and that proved to be a winning strategy, as the team had 28 assists. Freshman Ashley Garfield scored a career high of eight points.

“I think all the factors combined,” senior Haley Steed said. “One, we lost Thursday so we were already hungry, and then the second part that it was St. Mary’s. We were waiting for this one.”

Riley has 15 points and six rebounds. Senior Dani Peterson and freshman Lexi Eaton both had eight points each. Sophomore Stephanie Vermunt came off the bench hot, scoring seven points.

“I think our team was ready to go after losing to them [Pepperdine] and not playing so well the other night,” Judkins said. “I’m real proud of them. It was just a great team effort all the way around.”

BYU came out into the second half strong, not letting St. Mary’s gain any advantage. Judkins put in his bench players with more than five minutes left in the game.

The Cougars face Gonzaga on Thursday. The Bulldogs are No. 20 in the AP poll and No. 1 in the WCC.