With a little fashion effort, staying warm in winter is possible

177

by Lindsey Larson

With temperatures dropping below freezing, BYU students are having to work even harder to keep warm.

Sarah Burchett from Melissa, Texas, and Deanna Cardwell from Greenville, Texas, say that while they are accustomed to cold temperatures like those in Utah at this time of year, it still isn’t pleasant for them.

[media-credit name=”Photo illustration by Stephanie Rhodes” align=”alignleft” width=”200″][/media-credit]
Simple changes to your winter wardrobe will keep you warm, such as scarves and adding layers.
“It seems colder because it seeps into your bones, but I still don’t enjoy it,” Burchett said.

Katherine Bowen, an elementary education major from Alpine, said she’s grown up with cold temperatures in winter and wasn’t surprised with below-freezing temperatures.

“I put on lots of layers,” Bowen said. “It’s cold but you get used to it.”

Bowen said she prefers mittens to gloves to keep her hands warm.

“I really love my mittens,” Bowen said. “It’s mostly my hands that get coldest.”

Andrew Coffman, a Houston native, said he’s unaccustomed to the cold.

“I always like the first time it snows in the winter — I think  it’s exciting and fun — but usually after two or three weeks I’m tired of it,” Coffman said.

Coffman said he only owns one jacket, since he never needed one in Houston, and would rather put up with the cold outside until he gets back to his apartment.

“Our heating bill is ridiculously high,” Coffman said.

Leilani Anderson, a family studies major from Richland, Wash., said she doesn’t like the cold weather.

“I think I’d rather have it snow and be a little bit warmer,” Anderson said.

Anderson tries to ride up to campus with friends whenever possible, and bundle up as much as she can when she has to walk. She said she has two good coats for the winter.

“I’ve got a wool one, and then I’ve got a wind- and waterproof one,” Anderson said.

Anderson and Bowen both said the warmth of their hands is a priority in winter.

Bowen, Cardwell and Burchett all say they believe one of the best ways to keep warm in winter is to wear layers.

“Layers — lots and lots of layers,” Burchett said. “You have to put on thick socks, and then you’ve got long johns underneath that, and then jeans on top of that, and then boots.”

While Burchett focused on how to keep legs and feet warm, Cardwell talked about keeping her core warm.

“We buy a lot of sweaters and a lot of jackets,” Cardwell said.

Cardwell said she will not leave the house without her fuzzy socks. Burchett said that for her, boots are a necessity.

“I have this other pair that have sheepskin on the inside — so they’re super warm — that I wear when it’s February and it’s totally frigid,” Burchett said. “Warm feet are a must.”