Letter: In honor, respect

128

In response to the letter “In mourning (9/8),” I wanted to point out an inconsistency in the author’s reasoning.

He stated correctly, in contrast with flags at public buildings, it is left to the discretion of private institutions and individuals to decide when it is appropriate to fly their flags at half-staff. This is mentioned in the flag etiquette code.

Therefore, flying a flag at half-staff at the university’s private discretion is in adherence with flag code recommendations, contrary to the author’s implication.

To say it was “highly inappropriate” for BYU to half-staff a flag for “the victim of a car crash” indicates a misunderstanding of the flag code and, I believe, of BYU’s intent.

Vanessa wasn’t simply a victim of a car crash. She died while in service to God and to the Church that sponsors the university she attended.

I think it is highly appropriate for the university to honor her sacrifice.

Vanessa is also my cousin and so, personally, I greatly appreciate BYU’s display of mourning and respect for her.

But more importantly, she is a sister in my faith, a servant of my God and a student at my university.

I would have appreciated no less BYU’s gesture for any other brother, sister, missionary or student.

Mike Richardson
Elk Ridge