Letter: While on the job

80

Dear BYU Student Employees:

Get off Facebook, ESPN, People or any of those other time-wasting, non-work-related websites when you are on the clock.

My tithing pays you.

In any work environment it is unprofessional, but especially when working at BYU, which is funded by the Church, have the decency to use your time effectively.

I was very disappointed today when I went into Cougar Creations in the Wilkinson Student Center.

First, they denied me reasonable service.

A girl told me I would have to pay $20 per hour for her to help me sort a huge stack of papers (which I had just printed and paid for, of course) while her co-workers around her openly discussed basketball and other irrelevant topics. I understand they have a policy, but if you won’t help me, you better be doing something worthwhile in the meantime.

Second, they unabashedly wasted time.

When I heard a worker say “Oh, did you see his new profile picture?”  I moved to get a clearer view of one of the work computer screens, and my suspicion that someone was using Facebook on a work computer was confirmed.

“Facebook on the job?”  I asked. I was met with guilty looks and a flutter of a mouse click that exited out of the site.  “I’m sorry, can I help you?” asked an employee who had obviously just been caught off guard.  “No, I just wanted to make sure my tithing is being put to good use,” I answered as I left.

To my friends at Cougar Creations, I trust you’ll use better judgment from now on.

Katherine  Wilkinson
Leesburg, Va.