Brigham’s yard sale comes to Terrace

197

Old toasters, pogs and Pokemon cards beware; Brigham is having a yard sale.

From 5-7 p.m. on Aug. 3, BYU campus will offer students the opportunity to buy a spot of ground and have a yard sale. Spots cost $5 and are available at the information desk in the Wilkinson Student Center.

[media-credit name=”Luke Hansen” align=”alignleft” width=”300″]Brigham's Yard Sale will be on Aug. 3.[/media-credit]
Brigham's Yard Sale will be on Aug. 3.
Gloria Kamae, the student coordinator for Brigham’s Yard Sale, said it used to be called a swap meet, but recently they switched the title to yard sale. Also this year, because of weather complications in the past, the event is going to be in the Terrace. Kamae said she is excited to see what is for sale this year.

“I’m always excited to see what people bring because I do a little shopping myself,” Kamae said. “Last year, I picked up a few board games. My father-in-law loves to go camping and so I picked him up an interesting canteen.”

Kamae said she only brought $5 or $10 so she wouldn’t go overboard. She said event organizers plan on a few hundred people, which amounts to a lot of junk.

The rules for the event are straightforward. First, make sure your items are not weapons, food, retail or wholesale items. Second, you must be a BYU student or a spouse of a BYU student. Third, make sure you sign up by bringing your receipt from the Wilkinson Information Desk to the BYUSA office to get your spot reserved. Official rules can be found on the web at stab.byu.edu by clicking on events, then Brigham’s Yard Sale.

Diana Ault, studying family studies, said she is excited and a little nervous for her spot in Brigham’s Yard Sale.

“I’m excited to get my wares out there, and I am grateful it’s only five bucks,” Ault said. “If it goes well I might even look into the Farmer’s Market.”

Ault said she will be selling flower headbands she creates, something which is allowed because it is a craft.

Event organizers said they encourage people to come and either sell or buy. According to the website, this is a great opportunity to take what others call trash and make it treasure. After all, those old gift bags or baseball cards you never look at could make someone’s day.

Event organizers said they encourage people to come and either sell or buy. According to the website, this is a great opportunity to take what others call trash and make it treasure.