Students Experience International Cultures

41

By Elizabeth Jenkins

Studying abroad is an appealing opportunity for students at Brigham Young University, but many students are not taking advantage of all the international experiences BYU has to offer.

There are over 60 programs that give students the opportunity to go overseas to learn in an environment much different from Provo.

Jared Frehner, a senior from Riverton, went to Europe to study international business through the Europe Business Program.

“I wanted to go because I was really excited about traveling abroad and getting credit for it,” Frehner said. “I also wanted to have an international business experience to put on my resume”.”

Often, students are worried about getting behind in school or in debt by going abroad. Garrett Bradham, a senior from Suwannee, Georgia has attended two study abroad programs. He regards these programs as an opportunity that all students should take advantage of because the benefits outweigh any concerns students might have.

“I am completely confident that a semester abroad will be the best thing you do during your time here at BYU,” Bradham said.

Benj Hillyard, a senior from Salt Lake City, struggled with deciding to go for the same reason most students worry.

“The main speed bump from attending the Europe Business study abroad for me was the estimated cost,” Hillyard said. “Upon learning the price associated with the study abroad, I was hesitant at first. Had I a glimpse of the unique opportunity that lay ahead though, I don”t think I would have had much trepidation.”

A lot of students don”t know about all the resources available to help them fund their over seas adventures, said Lynn Elliott, the Director of International Study Programs for BYU. There are numerous scholarships available to students who decide they want to go and fit the criteria to receive the monetary awards.

Bradham offered some advice for students worried about the costs associated with study abroad programs.

“The Kennedy Center puts together scholarships which are strictly for study abroad participants,” Bradham said. “The BYU travel office is really good at finding inexpensive plane tickets for students.””

Students also wonder if their semester away will affect their prospective graduation date. Elliott stressed the point that if students take the time to plan the courses they will take while abroad, they can benefit greatly from their experience and not get behind on credits.

“I got ahead by 6 credit hours and also fulfilled two or three of the requirements I need for the Global Management Certificate.” Frehner said.

Students also benefit from international programs because they get to see what their prospective field is like outside of a textbook.

“What I liked most about the study abroad was making some great friendships, seeing the world and getting a taste of the life of international business,” Frehner said.

Students who have been fortunate to go abroad for at least a semester agree it was a growing experience.

“The thing about study abroad programs is that they help you to decide not only what you enjoy, but who you really are,” Bradham. “Being away from everything familiar, you are forced to grow both mentally and emotionally. You become more self-sufficient, more aware of the world around you and less dependent on others for your happiness. I think this is a priceless opportunity that is extremely difficult to replicate.”

Elliott suggests students allow themselves four to six months of preparation time prior to departure to their chosen study destination.

All applicants are interviewed to determine whether the student is academically prepared and mature. The applicant”s GPA is also taken into consideration for acceptance but there is no minimum GPA requirement to apply.

Applications are still being accepted for programs taking place Winter 2008. All applications and more information on the various international programs BYU offers are online. To access them, visit www.kennedy.byu.edu.