Scrapbooking Guru Speaks at UVSC

46

By Robin Broberg

Jeanette R. Lynton”s inspiration for her scrapbooking company came during the middle of a perm. She was looking through a stamp magazine, when she came across the one that would change her life.

It was the perfect; just the type she and her childhood friends would have chosen, so she had to have it. From that moment on, she said, the passion for her hobby was so strong she knew scrap booking was what she would do for the rest of her life.

“I was lucky because I was only in my early 20s when I found my passion,” Lynton said, “and if you can find yours today, you will be light years ahead of your fellow students.”

With passion, perspective and persistence, Lynton lectured to the public on the UVSC campus Thursday, she has accomplished her dreams and overcome obstacles.

Since 1984, Lynton has owned and run Close to My Heart, the leader in the direct sales scrap booking and stamp business. The company has pioneered the philosophy that scrap booking can be fun for people of all creativity levels and time schedules.

Lynton said she cultivated her love for scrap booking since she was a teenager. Even at that time when scrap-booking materials were scarce, she collected keepsakes, patterned paper and pictures to pursue her hobby.

“I loved scrap booking so much that my photos and memorabilia slept better on my queen-size bed than I did,” she said.

Lynton outlined the evolution of her passion for scrap booking using business adviser Tony Robbins” six human needs – love and connection, significance, security, variety, growth and learning and contribution to others.

Though running Close to My Heart is a full-time job, Lynton said she was able to have success and raise her family with the proper perspective.

“One of the greatest dangers of entrepreneurs is the temptation to take a little bit more away from your family so you can give a little bit more to your business,” Lynton said. “But what you”ll find with any business is that it has an insatiable hunger … and it will take all you are willing to give.”

Instead of cutting out family time, Lynton changed her work schedule. Her children would accompany her to meetings, her workplaces were always a family-friendly environment, she delegated projects she would have liked for herself and she stayed up late to work while her children were sleeping.

Through the ups and downs of her business, Lynton said she has developed the formula “success equals persistence plus failure.”

“I”ve learned to see that obstacles are miracles,” Lynton said.