UVSC Student Features Artwork in Unique Inspired by Fashion

93

By Lindsay Cusworth

A UVSC student”s inspiration for her senior art exhibit required extensive research through reading fashion magazines, watching runway shows and receiving direction from her professors.

“I was always interested in art since I was a kid and I wanted to do fashion even before I was in college,” said Holly Fullmer, the artist featuring her artwork. “A lot of my inspiration came from reading magazines and watching a lot of runway.”

Fullmer”s art exhibit, titled “Fit to Flare,” is free to visitors at UVSC and the exhibit will be open until Jan. 23, 2007. The show features 11 pieces of art including canvas rounds, silhouettes and even a self-portrait. The theme of the show focuses on popular trends in fashion and accessories.

“I got a lot of ideas for my project from recent fashion shows. There was always an accent of flare, lots of volume, layers, big belts and high waists,” Fullmer said.

All graduating seniors in the Arts and Visual Communications department at UVSC are required to exhibit a few of their works. Students receiving a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree are required to have an individual exhibit. Typically students choose their own topic, but faculty members are always available to make recommendations.

“I encourage my students to discover their passions with their art,” said Hyunmee Lee, assistant professor of art and visual communications. “Holly”s choice for mixing her style of painting and fashion design had been a huge challenge for both the faculty and herself, because this combined style needed a lot of research and demanded a lot of time. Holly has been quite successfully accomplished with what she articulates in this show.”

“Yet, it is a beginning,” Lee said.

Fourteen students graduated from the UVSC Arts and Visual Communications department in December 2006 and 12 students are expected to graduate in April 2007. Many go on to study at various universities and institutes around the country.

Fullmer commented that some of her inspiration came from the help she received from her professors, including Lee and Perry Stewart, associate professor of art and visual communications.

“I”m not sure what makes a good art teacher,” said Stewart. “It could possibly be someone that helps you to see without putting glasses on for you. I suppose it may be someone who tries to understand you and what you are trying to say.”

The Arts and Visual Communications department offers five degrees that require studio courses, much like the ones Fullmer completed. Stewart explained that studio courses require more hours in the classroom for the same amount of credit.

“It is an experience that sharpens not only your ability to craft a work of art but also requires you to think about what you are doing with the work and what you have to say by completing it,” said Stewart. “Art is more about communicating thoughts and ideas than simply making pretty pictures.”