Readers’ Forum: Sept. 18, 2006

56

Support minor sports

I recently attended BYU’s cross-country meet and football game. Needless to say, there was a large contrast in attendance between the two events. The cross-country meet was attended by parents, friends, family, and roommates (realistically few in numbers) of the competitors, while the football game was attended by crazed fans, many of which had no relationship to the football team members.

I am excited for football, basketball, volleyball, soccer and baseball to have such large turnouts, with obvious fans who bleed blue and white. However, many other sports at this university do not have the same fan support. Track, golf, tennis and swimming competition attendance are almost depressing in appearance. However, these athletes work just as hard as the popular athletes and have many great successes, but seem to be recognized less often. Being on the swimming team here at BYU, I know that a large, supportive crowd helps motivate competitors to truly compete.

Although these “minor” sports may not seem appealing, I recommend and encourage BYU students to take the opportunity to attend, appreciate and support the exciting competitions offered. Doing so may continue to bring BYU athletics to the top of the nation.

Zach Anderson

Mesa, Ariz.

Corrupt United Nations

We did not invade a sovereign nation against UN resolutions. There were well over a dozen resolutions that Saddam Hussein breached repeatedly. He murdered his own people, tortured without cause, and invaded Kuwait, beginning a war that has not ended. He repeatedly violated the terms of the cease-fire, shooting down our aircraft and ignoring his commitments. His breach of the terms more than justified our use of force.

Our constitution protections do not apply to the world, they apply to Americans. We follow the Geneva Conventions far better than does our enemy! Demonizing our country while ignoring the enemy we fight is wrong and blaming us for their atrocities is dark logic.

Anybody who honestly believes the UN serves the best interest of this nation is clueless. France , Russia and China objected to the war. In the conflict in Iraq our soldiers were killed by weapons from those countries and then we discovered their nifty deals in oil for food. To think they are watching out for us is ludicrous!

There is a frightening movement of some who think America should without exception bow to international law. They believe the talking heads of the United Nations should shape our self-defense and set the law of our land. Our national interest trumps international law. And by the way, that “love of all things green and papery” is called capitalism. It is imperfect in many ways, but your alternative is the socialism of Cuba. Bon Voyage!

Ryan Squire

Huntington Beach , Calif.

Eulogy for Baseball

As a Latter-day Saint and a baseball fan, I’m resigned to the eventual decay of all things, to scourges, wars, great calamites, etc. And yet I still feel to mourn this latest sign of the times: Here we are, on the eve of the MLB playoffs, talking football, football and always football. I know, I know. It’s the national game now. Baseball’s for has-beens and the overnostalgic. Well, maybe so. Maybe it is that in our fallen world-where football overshadows, nay, obliterates late-season baseball- that fans of the old ball game are a dying breed, like the last few Nephites roaming the Lamanite-infested, post-apocalypse countryside. Alas, there is so much of sorrow in the world. There is so much of loneliness, so much of grief. I think of Sir Bedivere in Tennyson’s “Morte D’Arthur”: “And I the last go forth companionless / And the days darken round me, and the years / Among new men, strange faces, other minds.”

Ryan McIlvain

Marshfield, Mass.

Debunking Paradox

This is in conjunction with a woman’s comments on the possible paradox presented by President and Sister Samuelson. President Samuelson taught us that we must strictly adhere to the Honor Code. Sister Samuelson had previously mentioned a Latin creed, et si omnes, ego non, or “even if all, not I.” We shouldn’t conform to what is popular.

Is there a contradiction? Do we merely conform when we agree to the Honor Code? I think conforming implies giving in: following the path of least resistance. You don’t conform when you agree to a higher standard. You don’t give in when you force yourself to shave every morning (some of us still don’t know what that’s like). You don’t follow the path of least resistance when you live honestly, or fess up to cheating. You don’t lose your individuality when you dress modestly-if anything you express yourself more loudly, particularly to The Author of the standard. Obeying the Honor Code is an outward manifestation of an inward commitment to stick to your guns. Even if all others give in to what’s popular, you won’t.

So, my point: I think their talks coincided nicely.

Ryan Weaver

Idaho Falls, Idaho

Put it Online

Having written the letter suggesting that BYU students read Ezra Taft Benson’s “The Proper Role of Governent,” I expected to see a response such as Margaret Olsen’s. Olsen, who appears to be a former student, said, “I often heard President Benson’s political beliefs quoted as prophetic scripture and as absolute authority on ideology.” She does not directly accuse me of having done so, but she certainly implies that I did.

I would like to point out that I never referred to “President Benson”- rather, I called him either by his full name or only by his last name. I referred to his work as a “treatise,” not as a talk, sermon, or any other word with a religious connotation. I said that it “presents many excellent points which can guide anyone.” I never even suggested that it was prophetic, divinely inspired, or flawless. I recommended this essay because it is one of the most concise, understandable explanations that I have found of the role of government in our lives. It is based largely on Frederic Bastiat’s “The Law,” which was written long ago, and not by a member of our church. I would suggest that Olsen and anyone who shares her point of view consider reading “The Proper Role of Government” rather than dismissing it because it happens to have been written by a leader of the LDS church with whom some people disagree politically. I stand by my argument that it would behoove everyone to read it, whether or not they agree with Benson politically.

David Nance

Little Rock, Ark.

Register to Choose Leaders

Election season is right around the corner. In some states primary elections have already begun. I want to plead with every eligible voter at BYU to get registered and get informed. Registration deadlines are fast approaching but there is still time to become registered, whether in Utah or in your home state, if you act now. We need to take seriously the process of electing leaders in our local, state, and federal government. You can make a difference. You are sending the message that preserving the integrity of our government and electing honest officials who represent the values you embody matters.

The opportunity we have to vote is something that, especially as young people, we should take advantage of. There are far too many eligible young people who choose laziness and ignorance over becoming registered and informed. Voting is our voice in government. Don’t stand idly by while others make important decisions concerning who will lead our government at all levels. Become part of this process yourself, and choose to make a difference. Please act now. If you wait it may be too late to get registered or make informed voting decisions.

Steffanie Wynn

Scottsdale, Ariz.

Glad to be at BYU

BYU truly is a place that I love. In one of my classes I was given an assignment to write a letter to a newspaper editor and I chose to write you at The Daily Universe. I sat for an extended period of time trying to write a witty letter complaining about some aspect of BYU. But I was surprised to find that I didn’t have much to complain about.

I asked my roommates, who are very opinionated, and they had a few complaints for me. But as they complained about some aspects of BYU that they dislike I couldn’t help but laugh at how dumb their complaints were.

I love the mountains so close and beautiful. I love that we can pray in class. I love that everyone is so nice. I love BYU football with every fiber in my being. I love the honor code. I love the beautiful girls all over campus. I love the professors that teach here. I love religion classes. I love how BYU beating the University of Utah at anything makes me so happy. In short, I love BYU.

Chad Mustard

Houston