Letter to the Editor: Write about real issues

110

Dear Editor,

Upon reading the editorial page of this newspaper I am disgusted by the extreme superficiality of the content. A reader is lead to believe that the most important issues in a BYU student’s life is the fact that the statues don’t have wedding rings, or that some of the students choose not to dress “modestly” or that no one is asking them out on dates. It is obvious that for some people who attend this university the campus is their world instead of the other way around. I came here to get an education, so that hopefully I can contribute to my world. The editorial section of this newspaper is a great opportunity to present thousands of students with information and new viewpoints. Instead, so many are using it as a place to whine about how people live their lives. That’s what the soapbox is for! I challenge BYU students to find real problems and issues to write about, maybe even ways we can contribute to the community. Don’t waste my precious non-textbook reading time with complaints. The world needs us as activists not spectators.

Andrea Bailey

Salt Lake City