Palm Pilots grow in popularity

63

By Jennifer Trendler

Palm Pilots.

Most people have heard about them, many people actually have one. Palms and other personal digital assistants (PDAs) are the newest in technology when it comes to personal time management.

The first Palm Pilot was introduced in March 1996. Since then, other companies began to manufacture PDAs. However, Palm maintains 75 percent of the market share.

So what is so great about Palm Pilots? Why have BYU students chosen to buy them?

“I needed an organizer that I would use,” said David Blood, 26, from Newark, Calif., majoring in computer science. “A Franklin was just too big to be carrying around. Girls carry around purses, but I don’t.”

Luke Leinger, 22, from Concord, Calif., majoring in economics, also said he was dismayed toward paper planners. “They weren’t doing the job for me. I needed something to organize my life in a 2-by-4-inch box.”

According to the Franklin Covey retail store in Orem, paper planner sales have taken a dip since the introduction of Palm Pilots. But that was to be expected, said Celeste Dodge, assistant manager at the store, because previously there were no alternatives.

“Right now our sales are 50/50 with Palms and paper planners,” Dodge said.

Because Palm Pilots are computerized, they can do more that just keep track of appointments. They can be connected to the Web and information can be downloaded for later reading.

Paul Newman, 25, from Anchorage, Alaska, majoring in information systems, said he uses his PDA to e-mail people during class, and then later he sends the e-mails through his computer at home.

Palm Pilots also have an external keyboard available for taking notes in class. Blood said he considers his keyboard a good value because it is a lot cheaper than buying a laptop.

A Palm Pilot with a big enough memory, can also store the scriptures, the hymns and other texts of church books. Newman said that before he bought his Palm, he might as well have been carrying his backpack to church. Now he goes with only a folder and Palm in hand.

Newman also said the calendar functions are more practical than the functions of a Franklin planner. For example, the “to do” lists automatically carry on to the next day if not checked off, and one can set alarms for notification of tasks.

And for people who love Franklin planners, there is software available which has the same calendar format.

Palm Pilots have many features, but not everyone thinks it is the most efficient tool for managing their time.

“I am a very visual person, and I remember things by writing them down physically,” said Becca Oldroyd, 23, from Salt Lake City, majoring in social work.

Joel Shumway, 22, from Mesa, Ariz., majoring in business, said, “Currently, I am trying to plan my time more wisely via a planner. If I can master the free paper planner from the bookstore, I will consider getting a Palm Pilot. But not until then.”

Franklin Covey said they sell about 25 Palm Pilots a week.

“We have high school students buy them all the way to 90-year-olds. They’re pretty much for everyone,” Dodge said.

However, Doug Burch, manager for Staples in Provo, said he observed most people who buy them are professionals.

“We are seeing more students, but not a lot.”

Loren Liu, technology sales associate for Office Max in Orem, echoed that response.

“The majority (of people who buy them) is more business people,” Liu said.

Even though students may not make up most of the sales of Palm Pilots, they do buy them.

In fact, many students expressed apprehension about using a Palm Pilot when they first got one.

Leinger got his first Palm a year ago for $170. He said that at first everyone thought he was a nerd.

“Now, if they don’t pull theirs out too, they are thinking of getting one and want me to tell them about it,” Leinger said.

“I was self-conscious about using it when I first got it,” said Tyler Carter, 24, from Hollister, Calif. “I still think it is just an expensive toy.”

With the rapid gain in popularity, some see Palm Pilots as merely a trend.

“Half the people that use them don’t use them because they need them. It’s just something they want because all of their friends have one. Before the Palm Pilot, there was the cell phone. Before the cell, there was the pager. And before the pager there was the slap bracelet,” Shumway said.

All of the people interviewed who have Palm Pilots said they will never go back to paper planners and that Palm Pilots are relatively easy to use and maneuver.

“I wouldn’t get half as much done,” Leinger said. “Any of you who are still using paper planners, try a Palm Pilot for a week, and I guarantee you will get twice as much done. Efficiency is the key to being more successful in life.”

People find both pros and cons to Palm Pilots. Newman concludes the decision should be a personal one, based on the needs of the person.