Coach Rose and cancer: What to expect from BYU basketball this year

227

During an intense physical and emotional battle four and a half years ago, BYU basketball coach Dave Rose discovered he had neuroendocrine cancer. Today, after years of scans, surgeries and doctor’s appointments, Rose hopes to continue his coaching for seasons to come.

“It is not a cancer I will be cured from,” Rose said. “Once the tumors show up again the process is to remove them and go forward from there.”

BYU basketball coach Dave Rose speaks during the team's media day. Photo courtesy BYU Photo.
BYU basketball coach Dave Rose speaks during the team’s media day. (Photo courtesy BYU Photo)

Rose is trying to make sure his cancer becomes a stepping-stone rather than a roadblock in his career.

“I would be naive to say the cancer has not affected my coaching at all,” Rose said. “What I want to make sure is that it has a positive effect on my ability to coach our team and our players.”

In 2012 BYU was one of the featured teams in the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic tournament. Rose also appeared in one of the program’s commercials to raise awareness for the event. Since 1993 the Coaches vs. Cancer program has raised more than $85 million to fund groundbreaking research and deliver services to improve the quality of life for cancer patients and their families.

Rose has already had a positive influence on the men’s basketball team. During the first eight seasons of his position as head coach, Rose has compiled a 209-66 record. This year, on Oct. 7, Rose and the Cougars began official practice, hoping to continue their record-setting winning percentage.

“I’m really excited for this year’s team,” Rose said. “We have a group of talented players who aren’t very experienced, but they are really excited and passionate about playing the game.”

The first scheduled appearance for the team is the Cougar Tipoff held on Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2013.