Good News Thursday: Volunteers make Valentine’s Day arrangements for widows, Auburn student wins car at basketball game, Young Kansas City Chiefs fan with DMD goes to the Super Bowl

166

Volunteers make Valentine’s Day arrangements for widows

Dozens of volunteers in North Carolina gathered together on Monday for a special cause: to assemble Valentine’s Day arrangements for widows. The team has been collecting faces for months in anticipation of the holiday or in preparation for the holiday.

“For Mother’s Day, we did a trial to see if it would work. And we were just overwhelmed at how many people’s names we got in. So we decided we would do it for Valentine’s Day. We do have some widows that this will be their first Valentine’s without their spouse,” Marie Martin, the founder of the organization Moms Wishing Widows Well, said. 

The goal of the bouquets is to assure each widow that they are not alone and bring smiles to their faces.

Auburn student wins car at basketball game

Creg Noyes, an Auburn student, won a car on Saturday after making a full-court putt. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)

An Auburn student won a car on Feb. 11 in a game against Alabama after successfully making a full-court (94-foot) putt. The lucky student Craig Noyes says that he isn’t even a golfer, yet he is the first person to win the contest since 2014.

“It was so loud when I stepped up to the ball. Once I hit it, I completely zoned out. I couldn’t hear anyone,” Noyes said. “It wasn’t until the announcer put a hand on my shoulder and said I’d won a car that I believed it.”

Noyes was randomly picked from the crowd at halftime after camping outside the arena with friends for 24 hours to get good seats. He does not own a car, but thanks to the local Toyota dealership he soon will. 

Young Kansas City Chiefs fan diagnosed with DMD goes to the Super Bowl

A 12-year-old Chiefs fan with Duchenne muscular dystrophy goes to the Super Bowl to watch his team compete, thanks to the Make-A-Wish foundation. (KSDK, CNN)

Gavin Meyer, a 12-year-old Duchenne muscular dystrophy patient from Missouri, had the weekend of a lifetime when Make-A-Wish sent him to the super bowl. The young Kansas City Chiefs fan was able to watch his favorite team win the NFL championship.

“Honestly it just makes my heart so happy. I’m speechless,” mentioned Gavin’s mom Barbara. “Gavin has to get weekly infusions and lately it’s been a little tough for him … it really helps us know that someone cares and that they are with us through this battle.”

Gavin, along with other kids like him, was able to get a behind-the-scenes tour of the stadium, play Top Golf, and even meet some of the players. “I’m hoping that when days are tough and when Gavin needs a little bit of a boost, he can look back on this experience and truly just give him that extra step to go and conquer anything,” Brian Miller from Make-A-Wish said.