Dani Jardine
The group of BYU alumni looking to enter the NFL pose for a photo at the end of Pro Day. (Dani Jardine)

BYU’s Pro Day highlighted 14 former Cougars hoping to impress 31 NFL scouts on Friday, March 30. Fred Warner, Jonah Trinnaman, Tejan Koroma and Jonny Linehan led the list of players who worked out in BYU’s Indoor Practice Facility.

Warner only participated in the position drills because he previously attended the NFL combine earlier in February.

“I felt pretty confident with the numbers I put up in the combine so I felt confident enough that I just focused on the scout drills today. It was good being able to be around my former teammates again, we were really close this past season. It was fun seeing Jonah do his thing out there, Tejan did great, all of the guys did like they always do.” Warner stated.

Since graduating from BYU, Warner says he’s been working on his linebacker technique, including sled work and watching film. NFL analysts have Warner going anywhere between the second and fifth rounds in the upcoming April draft.

“At the combine I had a lot of formal interviews with different teams, I’ve had private workouts with teams who have flown me out. It’s great to be wanted but I’m the one who also has to put my best foot forward to them, it’s a business now.”

A business Warner hopes to be a part of for many years. For now, his schedule keeps him very busy.

“To get in shape, well in football shape. Right after the draft we have a mini-camp. From what I’ve heard you want to get in shape so you don’t get behind. I’ll continue to make visits to teams and continue to get better.” Warner stated.

Trinnaman had one of the most impressive workouts with the best vertical jump of 40.5 inches and his 12-foot broad jump would have been the best mark at this year’s NFL Combine. He also had the fastest 40-yard runs of the day with times of 4.30 and 4.31 seconds.

Trinnaman said the scouts like his speed and felt he was able to show his explosiveness off the line.

“I felt pretty good, I was a little rusty on route stuff and catching the ball but I was also a little nervous at first,” Trinnaman said. “I felt like I did well but there is always room for improvement. It is was it is today and I did what I could. It’s amazing how much support I have received throughout this whole process.”

Offensive lineman Tuni Kanuch had the best vertical jump of all the lineman with a leap of 32 inches. Kanuch said he felt good about Friday’s performance.

“My trainer Chaddy K, I think he is one of the best in the world in what he does,” Kanuch said. “He helped me drop from 29% body fat to 18% and I feel like the numbers are good too. I’m feeling positive about it all and happy for today. For athletes, it’s never really good enough, we always want to be better, but on a positive outlook, I’m happy with how everything went down.”

Jernaro Gilford, BYU’s cornerbacks coach was on the sideline and was impressed with what he saw.

“I think they all did well. There were many players that were above average,” Gilford said.
“Fred is a total stud. He does everything well. He looked really good out there. I was really happy with the numbers all the participants put up today. It’s really tough to come out here and perform when you know all of the scouts watching and there’s a lot on the line. It’s their life, it’s huge.”

Other players who worked out on Friday were defensive backs Micah Hannemann, Kamel Greene and Hiva Lee and defensive linemen Handsome Tanielu and Kesni Tausinga. Former offensive players included tight end Tanner Balderree, and offensive lineman Tejan Koroma. In addition to BYU’s 2017 graduating seniors, former BYU defensive linemen Travis Tuiloma, Logan Taele and Tomasi Laulile also worked out.