BYU women’s volleyball player Alexa Gray earns first weekly honor of the season

403
Maddi Dayton
Alexa Gray goes up for a kill at a game last season. Gray received the WCC Player of the Week honors this week. (Maddi Dayton)

Alexa Gray, a senior and outside hitter on the BYU women’s volleyball team, received the West Coast Conference Player of the Week honors on Monday.

BYU swept their opponents in the Marcia E. Hamilton Classic and Gray led the team to victory. At the invitational, she was named the Most Valuable Player.

“I try not to look up at the scoreboard. I try to just play no matter what the score is, if it’s 00 or it’s 100. I just try to hit hard all the time and help my team out, just do what I need to do to help us win,” Gray said last season following the match against Penn State.

Gray has lived up to her ambitions in all her games, namely in those played recently. During the invitational, Gray had 13 kills against Saint Louis, 14 kills against Purdue and two against Arkansas-Pine Bluff (she only played one set during this game, as opposed to all three with the previous two). This week, Gray averaged 4.14 kills per set.

It appears that in her final season, Gray is well on her way to making this her best and most accomplished year on the court.