A curious new museum at Thanksgiving Point

210

Loud screams of joy and giggles of laughter ricochet off walls and dive into the ears of adults who walk cautiously among hundreds of children scurrying to and fro. Water droplets splash, lights flash and smiles perch on the faces of onlooking parents.

After nearly ten years of waiting, the Museum of Natural Curiosity at Thanksgiving Point is finally open.

The 45,000-square-foot complex, which cost nearly $28 million to build, features more than 400 interactive learning consoles and creative activities spread across five unique territories found throughout the museum. Rope bridges through the treetops are found in the Rainforest area, and young builders align blocks in the Building Curiosity Zone. A magic shop and puppet theater reside in the miniature city of “Kidopolis,” liquid flows in all directions at Water Works, and the dark Thanksanogous Cave is located outside in the Discovery Garden.

The museum promotes a hands-on approach to learning about the world. Each activity is intuitive for kids to figure out and learn from but complex enough to reinvigorate curiosity in the older visitors also.

“I think the museum is great; my daughter Kate is having so much fun,” said Lehi native Laura Anderson. “It makes me wish I had this around when I was a kid.”

With so much for kids to do, seeing everything available to visitors in one day is nearly impossible. It appears that repeat visitors to the museum throughout the summer will be plentiful. “We definitely will be back to visit again. I think we will plan on coming about once a week,” said Tracy Butterfield, of Eagle Mountain.

For employees looking to work with kids, the location is a dream realized. Museum employee and BYU student Ally Melendez said, “I like being around the kids. … It’s so fun to make 90 new friends under the age of 12 each day. I love my job!”

To satisfy curiosity, visitors can visit the museum at 3605 Garden Drive in Lehi. The facilities are open Monday–Saturday, from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Ticket prices are $15 for adults and $12 for children. For more information, call 1-888-672-6040.

[soundslides width=”620″ height =”533″ id=”372355″]