Women’s basketball hires Dan Nielson as assistant coach

374

Dan Nielson is glad to be back coaching at his alma mater.

After spending four years with the BYU women’s basketball team as a graduate assistant, Nielson decided to leave the Cougars and become an assistant coach for the women’s basketball team at UVU. During his time there, he helped the Wolverines win a regular season title and advance to the league championship game three times. In 2010, the team won the Great West Tournament Championship.

Now he has returned to coach at BYU.

Dan Nielson, pictured here, will begin work as a BYU women's basketball assistant coach this season. Photo courtesy BYU Photo
Dan Nielson, pictured here, will begin work as a BYU women’s basketball assistant coach this season. (Photo courtesy BYU Photo)

“We are excited to have Dan back in our program,” head coach Jeff Judkins said in a press release. “He brings a lot of energy, knowledge and experience which will help us in our recruiting both in state and throughout the nation. Dan is a great young coach, and he has proven himself, playing a key role in the success that the women’s basketball program at Utah Valley University has had during his time there.”

Nielson will be replacing Chris Boettcher, who earlier this summer accepted a head coaching position for Shiga Lake Stars, a men’s professional basketball team in Japan.

“I love Judd; I loved working with Judd before,” said Nielson. “I loved UVU, but it was kinda time for a change. I love it here. I mean, I was a student here.”

While at UVU, Nielson coached Sammie Jensen, who has been named the Great West Conference Player of the Year for the last two seasons. Also, last year Jensen was the second leading rebounder in the nation.

“I am excited to work with our post players,” Nielson said. “They have the skills and talent; it’s just putting it together now. I came back here to help this team win … my expectation is that we should be right there for the NCAA tournament every year.”

The Cougars will begin practicing in a just a few weeks. They open the season at home versus Colorado Mesa University on Nov. 1, 2013.