Weird Wire: A sampling of strange news


Stork comes faster than a speeding ambulance along deserted Utah highway

The emergency delivery of twin boys by a Utah mother along a remote stretch of I-80 received national media attention this past week as the infants recover in intensive care.

Lynette Hales revived her firstborn twin son along a deserted Utah highway en route to the hospital 100 miles away.
(Photo courtesy of ABC World News)

Lynette Hales, 39, had to improvise along the highway during a 911 call when the operator informed her friend who was driving in no uncertain terms that it was time to pull over — the babies were coming now.

Hales was 30 weeks along in her pregnancy when she decided to make a trip to Wendover, Nev., for a final getaway before the babies arrived. After waking up in her hotel room with hard contractions, she realized she was nowhere near the medical help she would need to help deliver premature twins. She decided to make a run for a Tooele hospital in a minivan driven by friend Jim Gerber. The hospital was 100 miles away.

When the first baby was born in the van along the side of the road, he was still “in the sack” and wasn’t breathing. Without hesitating, his mother began giving him CPR as color was draining from his tiny body.

“A frightening moment,” Hales told the Deseret News.

After staying on the phone with emergency operators and working with the newborn for a harrowing 20 minutes, Hales and Gerber were joined by State Trooper Nathan Powell, who arrived on the scene after speeding there from 30 miles away to give additional aid. Powell helped suction the baby’s mouth and throat, and eventually the 3-lb. infant began breathing on his own.

The difficulties weren’t over. The second baby was also delivered along the roadside. This time, the delivery was feet-first; footling breach births carry a high risk of cord prolapse and head entrapment, but the three adults were able to get the second baby breathing and crying almost immediately.

An ambulance arrived just as the second baby’s cord was being cut, but the mother and her sons finished the 100-mile ride to the hospital in two helicopters with a team of high-risk pregnancy specialists.

Provo couple discovers their house is home to 40,000 bees

Tyler Judd and his wife were relaxing in their living room one night when they realized there was a strange sound emanating from the walls of the home they had just moved into.

Bee removal expert Al Chuback estimates that between 40,000 to 80,000 bees have been living in a Provo house undiscovered until this month.
(Photo courtesy of Fox 13)

“We were just sitting on our couch, turned off the TV and could hear some buzzing in the walls,” Judd told KSL.

Judd called an expert in bee removal, who told him that his house had become a virtual theme park for the insects.

“It’s Disneyland for a bee,” beekeeper specialist Al Chuback told Fox 13. “There are so many places they can go in.”

After assessing the bee population to be between 40,000 and 80,000, Chuback spent the weekend suctioning out the bees and relocating them.

“They’re actually taking the insulation out and … putting their honeycomb and their hive in its place,” Judd explained to KSL.

Even though bee populations around the world have been dwindling for the last decade, this hive reportedly had been growing in the walls for several years.

Just like you

A Japanese-based design company is producing life-like replicas with stunningly accurate details using 3-D printing technology.

The process originated at the Clone Factory in Akihibara. First the workers use several DSLR cameras to take photos of the human face from all angles. Then, using a computer program, the images are combined into 3-D data, which is then fed into a special printer that uses plaster and ink to sculpt the completed replicas.

The end result is a fully-detailed miniature, right down to the smallest physical nuances of the expression captured. The price tag  for these works is around $1,300. Cool or creepy?

Print Friendly, PDF & Email