Miss Provo Tackles the Unexpected

169

By Kristina Schroeder

Joseph Nance laughed as he read the next question to himself. He looked across the couch at Elizabeth Jefferson”s nervous face, and knew she would hate this one.

“OK, Miss Jefferson,” he grinned. “What do you want in a man?”

She tried not to laugh but her dimples gave it away as she leaned over and smacked him on the arm.

“They would never ask that at the pageant, Joseph,” she said, flipping her blonde hair over her shoulder and rolling her bright blue eyes. “Not in a million years. Go to the next one.”

Little did Jefferson know that the judges would ask exactly that question on June 30 as she competed for the coveted title of Miss Provo.

Although the question wasn”t anticipated, she handled it well; Jefferson is someone who has become used to the unexpected.

She graduated high school earlier than expected, soared to her junior year at BYU in one calendar year of schooling, and is majoring in Spanish – something she said no one predicted, even her.

Not only is Spanish her major, but she”s also completely devoted to learning and participating in the Hispanic culture.

She said she traveled to Mexico and Spain to become fluent in the language and submerse herself in the culture.

In March, she danced in the FIESTA program – a showcase of music and dance from Latin America put on by BYU”s Salsa Club.

“A lot of people feel that since I”m not Hispanic, I have no reason to do this,” Jefferson said. “It”s true that I”m zero percent Mexican, but I love the culture.”

Her love for the Hispanic culture influenced her involvement in the Miss America program – another unforeseen aspect of Jefferson”s life.

“We never really thought much of pageants when we were younger,” Jefferson”s little sister, Amy, said. “Now that I look back on it, it seems like she was made for them.”

Jefferson first considered the pageant when she met Megan Jolley, Miss Sandy 2006, on a study abroad trip to Madrid.

Jolley became a huge support and a roommate the few months before the pageant.

Now that they both have titles, Jolley said she is excited to help Jefferson prepare for the Miss Utah pageant next summer.

Preparation is something that Jefferson knows all about, especially within the last few months.

“At first I thought, ”I have to have a talent. I have to have a platform. I can”t do this. There”s no way,” ” she said. “But I realized that if I worked hard enough I could make it work.”

Jefferson lost 20 pounds, developed her platform and attended rehearsals for eight weeks before the pageant, but none of that will compare to her schedule for this next year.

“I have loved seeing this new side of Elizabeth: busy busy busy!” Jolley said. “That”s the life of a pageant girl.”

When she was crowned Miss Provo, the first thing Jefferson said was, “I can”t believe it.”

Her friends and family disagreed, and even first runner up Stephanie Gaufin said she felt excitement rather than defeat.

“I was really excited when I heard the results,” Gaufin said. “She”s a sweet, talented, gorgeous girl.”