Cougars to meet San Diego State

38

By Devon Black

When BYU played San Diego State last season, it was hoping for a pickup, but got a letdown. This season, even a big Cougar letdown probably wouldn”t be enough for San Diego State to win, but that doesn”t keep coach Bronco Mendenhall from forgetting what happened last October.

Fresh off an overtime loss to TCU, Mendenhall went into San Diego on a Saturday night last October and saw his team put up its worst team performance of the 2005 season, losing 31-10.

According to Mendenhall, the reason for remembering a game most BYU fans would like to forget is the landmark it gives him to measure progress from.

“I think our program was searching,” Mendenhall said. “I think the new head coach was trying to find the correct answers in terms of managing the team and the program. I think our coaches, assistant coaches and players were doing the same.”

Twelve months later, both Mendenhall and his team have grown up and largely overcome the identity crisis. With last week”s breakthrough 31-17 win over ranked TCU, BYU is poised to make a big run in the Mountain West Conference. The deep and experienced offense is clicking and the defense continues to impress. Most noticeable, however, is the attitude of confidence that seems to come from both the players and coaches – a feeling that wasn”t there a year ago.

“I think we”ve all made progress since that point,” Mendenhall said. “I certainly know our coaches” and our players” expectations are at a higher level now. I think there”s more confidence and security. Our team is beginning to understand who we are, what we expect, and what they”re capable of doing. I think they”re carrying themselves with a clearer identity and purpose and focus as opposed to the searching mentality which was indicative of a year ago.”

The 0-4 Aztecs are four touchdown underdogs coming into LaVell Edwards Stadium on Saturday. San Diego St. seems to be struggling with its own identity crisis under first-year coach Chuck Long. Injuries and suspensions will only make it more difficult to stick with a BYU team that will probably put a lot of points on the board.

Kevin Craft, the son of former coach Tom Craft, is slated to get his first-ever collegiate start at quarterback on Saturday since first-stringer Kevin O”Connell and backup Darren Mougey have both been knocked out of play with injuries.

Star running back Lynell Hamilton is also expected to miss this week”s game and injuries to the offensive line have left the SDSU offense thoroughly depleted. If that wasn”t enough, defensive back Donny Baker and offensive lineman Nick Smith have been suspended by Long and won”t make the trip with the team.

That all adds up to an undermanned and overmatched opponent, and a game the Cougars know they should win big.

Quarterback John Beck says winning this game is just a matter of preparation and execution.

“I expect us to go in and perform well this week,” Beck said. “I think (the Aztecs) are a very talented defense. They”re a good football team. We”re going to have to come out and play a good game. There”s a little bit of revenge because of what happened last year, but I think the level of our preparation can be brought up because of that.”

On BYU”s defensive side, no one is quite sure what to expect from a largely unseen Craft, but linebacker Cameron Jensen says the defense is preparing for anything – unlike a year ago.

“It”s tough with their quarterback and running back status unknown,” Jensen said. “It leaves question marks knowing how they”re going to use personnel. I know the character of this team is one where no matter who we play or when we play we”re going to come ready to play. I think we”re a much more confident team. That”s showing more and more.”