Readers’ Forum Oct. 2, 2006

80

Giant of A Man

Thursday evening, I attended the TCU vs. BYU football game with my family. On the way out of the stadium, I overheard a young, extremely inebriated TCU student shouting profane and vulgar insults to a BYU fan and his family. As I made my way through the crowd I saw that the man being accosted was over seven feet tall, and he was quietly exiting the stadium with his wife and several small children by his side. This kind family turned the other cheek and tried to walk away, but the drunken student would not leave them alone. The profanity continued to spew from this dude’s mouth like venom from a cobra.

Finally, after having all she could take of the cussing and slurs, the mother of the family confronted the drunk and told him very sternly that he had no right to speak evil of her husband, especially in the presence of so many women and children. Having seen the woman confront the drunk and not knowing what the drunk would do, I approached the war of words just waiting in the wings for the drunk to take a step or a swing at the woman. I must admit that my desire to introduce my fist to his jaw was very strong at this point.

As the confrontation escalated, all the other sheep in the crowd just stood by watching; then, the very tall man, now recognized as former NBA player Shawn Bradley, stepped in and quietly asked his wife to step away because the confrontation “wasn’t worth it.” Finally, the drunks’ buddies pulled him away, Mrs. Bradley retreated and the confrontation ended peacefully.

I must admit that I am not a Mavs fan and was never really a fan of Shawn Bradley the player, but I am now a fan of Shawn Bradley the person. His example of quiet dignity and courage to avoid useless confrontation is something I will not soon forget.

I would advise the drunk TCU student to watch his tongue and avoid drunkenness. I couldn’t help but notice the irony as I watched him spew his venom with the words Texas Christian University on his shirt. On this night, if anyone should have been wearing a shirt labeled CHRISTIAN, it was Shawn Bradley.

On behalf of the drunk, who probably doesn’t remember most of his immature actions, I apologize to the Bradley family and I would hope they know this one cowardly young person does not reflect the values of the university or its athletic programs.

Sean Connelly

Fort Worth, Texas

A Public Cry for Help

I am writing this as a public request for Brittany Morgan’s help. On Sept. 22, 2006, I went to a movie that I rather enjoyed. Unfortunately for me, it wasn’t until a week later that I read Brittany ‘s words in the readers’ forum and learned that I could not have seen the movie “in good conscience.” As one can imagine, this came as quite a shock to me, especially because I had always assumed that my conscience was helping me lead a good life. I was wrong.

Clearly, I was wrong in seeing the movie. After reading Brittany ‘s words, I realized that I am also wrong because I am comfortable saying the word “jackass,” but according to her, I shouldn’t be. If my life is heading in the direction of me constantly doing bad things like that, I don’t like it and want to change. So, I would like to ask for Brittany ‘s assistance – since she is such a good judge of character and decisions – in helping me figure out what else I’ve been wrong about in my life. Please Brittany, I need your help. Who knows what else I might be doing wrong?

Apparently you do.

Adam D. Hunter

Sandy

Get Informed

To Mr. Ryan Taylor – clue phone – it’s for you! BYU Recycling does have accommodations for recycling cardboard, and I haven’t noticed a building on campus that doesn’t have aluminum can drops yet. All you’d have to do is ask someone where these drops are located, since you’ve made it quite obvious through your letter that you’ve done no such thing. There’s a Physical Facilities supervisor in every building on campus who’d be more than willing to help you out. The campus Recycling Department is open for anyone to visit, ask questions and receive straight answers. No, Mr. Taylor, the problem doesn’t lie in the supposed inaccessibility of recycling services. The real problem exists in yourself. You, and many others like you, go about this the same way – you seek to push your agenda and gain a following through The Daily Universe instead of appealing to the people or groups who actually have the ability to hear and help you. If you don’t go to the source to voice your opinions, chances are you will not be heard. God help us that zealots such as yourself get a clue.

Isaac Benson

Provo

Have A source?

Kaleb Lord presented some interesting “facts” regarding sex education classes in his “Sex ed increases promiscuity” letter (Sept. 29). He states that children who attend a sex ed class are less likely to stay morally clean and that sex ed classes “increase promiscuity, pregnancy and diseases rates.”

Those are all very interesting claims, Kaleb. Mind telling us where they came from? Is there a study that you’re quoting from? Did you make them up? Did a goat farmer in Tibet impart this wisdom upon you?

You see, most students at BYU require a source for claims like these. Do you really expect us to blindly accept these claims of yours while you provide no authoritative source? The reality is that since you provided no source and are from “Happy Valley,” the first thing that came to my mind is that you’ve never actually left Happy Valley – physically or mentally. I’m not justifying this stereotype or disagreeing with you.

I’m just saying how it is.

Jason Cooper

Stafford, Va.

Ignorance Isn’t Bliss

I’m writing in response to the article “Sex-Ed Increases Promiscuity?,” (Sept. 29). I understand the writer had good intentions, but I completely disagree with his logic. As members of the church and God’s children, we are supposed to attain as much knowledge as we can. Education, including sex education, is an important element of life on earth.

Here in Utah, and especially at BYU, we pride ourselves on being a city on a hill?. However, according to a recent study of teen pregnancy rates in America, there are five states with the US that have lower teen pregnancy rates than Utah [Guttmacher Institute, U.S. Teen Pregnancy Statistics National and State Trends and Trends by Race and Ethnicity, Sept. 2006]. In Utah, out of every 1,000 females ages 15 to 19, a statewide average of 44.5 gave birth to a child between 1995 and 1997 [Peggy Bowman et al., Adolescent Pregnancy in Utah, year unknown]. Why such high rates?

I think the problem has been our approach to sex education in the past. We teach our young people that sex is bad; we rely on stigmatization to scare young people away from pre-marital sex. This creates a conflict within young people when hormones start raging – it is this conflict and stigmatization that leads to sexual curiosity and promiscuity. We need to increase appropriate sex education, informing young people that sex is a good thing but that there is a time and a place for it. I’m appalled by the author’s claim that we should be ignorant of sex until we are ready to marry. In sexual matters, ignorance is NOT bliss.

Gable Moffitt

Denver, Colo.

Research for Midterms

As you look over your midterm schedule, don’t forget about the national midterm coming up in November. There’s no grade associated with it – you’re guaranteed to pass as long as you take it. The only catch is that if you want to take it, you need to sign up for it soon. If you haven’t already registered to vote, stop by the VoteProject

booth in the Wilkinson Center – do it now, time is running out.

Now I already said that you pass the test no matter what, but I do have to remind you to study up for it. You’re in college now, so I’m sure you’re used to doing a little bit of research. Instead of relying on your parents or your favorite political party, take the time to actually read what the candidates believe. You may be surprised as you

read over their websites that you agree with a third party more than you do with a major political party. I’m not going to tell you how to vote, but if you don’t agree with a popular candidate, don’t vote for them just because they belong to your parent’s political party.

Whoever you choose, get out and vote.

Jo-Pete Nelson

Flagstaff, Ariz.

For Maternity Use Only

You went out for Thai food the night before. The next day in the library you’re feeling the fury of the curry. You get up and race to the bathroom, only to find you are not alone. There are spectators on the couch that is designated for nursing mothers. However, they’re not nursing. They’re sleeping, reading, or talking on the phone. Since when has the bathroom become a hangout spot? It should be a get in, get out type of situation. Nobody wants an audience, but we don’t mind equal participants. We’ve thought of some possible reasons for why this might be occurring: 1- They’re avoiding the annoying males that only go to the library to hit on girls. There are cubicles that serve the same function. 2-They just enjoy the bathroom ambiance. Sickos! 3-They’re tired and they found a couch. Go home or find another couch outside the Loo. Since we’ve yet to see a nursing mother using these couches, we suggest everyone else move aside and make room for the mother and child in need.

Katherine Shumway,

Friendswood, Texas

Brittany Duncan

Burley, Idaho

Emily Templeman

Toronto, Canada