Readers’ Forum, Apr. 5, 2006

69

Support instead of condemn

There are many wrong things we do that each of us needs to fix. Brittany Leonard’s viewpoint, for example, stated, “There is no room for pornography, stalking, harassment, domestic abuse, rape, or even murder.” I completely agree that these things are wrong and not of God. However, for sufferers of pornography, equating their sin with that of rape and murder does nothing but shame them further and drive them away from getting help.

Sis. Kimberly Perry made a good point in a fireside she spoke at for the Students That Oppose Pornography club. She stated that addiction, eating disorders and pornography issues all tend to spring from the same source: typically a low self worth. I find it sad that those who suffer from eating disorders are supported and helped, while those who suffer from pornography are told by our society that they are vile sinners who should be ashamed of themselves. Let me tell you, they already know that and are ashamed. How about we try to love these people and help them? Extend some mercy instead of only judgment.

Jared vanderHorst

Anaheim, Calif.

They won’t let us fix BYUSA

In a letter published March 31, 2006, it was suggested that those who are upset about the firing of Todd Hendricks should join BYUSA and get involved in student leadership rather than criticize the decisions of BYUSA and its full-time administration. It’s a great idea, but it has a fundamental flaw: increased student participation won’t have any effect on a BYU administration unwilling to relinquish its despotic leadership style or fix what’s wrong with the organization.

I don’t question the dedication of BYUSA’s student volunteers, but I have serious doubts that they will ever be able to overcome the administration’s heavy-handed control over their efforts. After three straight years of election-time meddling and dubious disqualifications, BYUSA is an organization in desperate need of legitimacy, and the decision to terminate Hendricks after his public call for reform has ruined any chance of them getting it any time soon. The administration’s unwillingness to consider new ideas or tolerate criticism discourages even the most altruistic students from trying to make a difference, and who can blame us? Trying to fix BYUSA from within would be like trying to stop Nazism by joining the Hitler Youth – it’s a nice thought, but it won’t work. The system is broken, and I urge President Samuelson and other principled administrators to fix it by responding to Hendricks’s call for greater transparency in BYUSA’s elections and internal operations. We students can’t do it alone.

Joshua Johnson

Aiken, S.C.

Embarrassing the church

I am concerned about the way certain members of the student body chose to communicate their objections. In the Daily Herald there were pictures printed showing BYU students protesting. Some of them had tape across their mouth, indicating there was some form of suppression of speech going on at BYU (even though BYU had given them permission to protest).

I recognize people’s right to have questions about and maybe even object to certain policies. It is natural for there to be many opinions about the way things should be done. However, when we choose to protest in a forum that attempts to bring embarrassment to BYU, then it is time to re-examine our loyalties. BYU is sponsored by the church, and at the helm of said church is a Prophet of God who is led by Jesus Christ. Any attempt to embarrass BYU is an attempt to, consciously or unconsciously, shame its sponsoring organization.

My plea is that we examine the forms in which we choose to object to what are, in the big picture, insignificant things. Certainly there are ways of communicating our concerns that will bring honor, not embarrassment, to the organizations we love. We are led by men of God, and I believe they are very interested in and open to our concerns. Let’s work with them and not against them.

Richard Wagner Jr.

Payson

Thanks to protesters

We are proud of all students, faculty and community members who stood with us on Friday, Mar. 31, 2006, to speak out with our silence against the lack of freedom of expression on campus. Many students came despite legitimate fears of administrative retaliation. All involved with the protest were courteous and articulate. The large number of participants demonstrated to BYU that pretending to allow open discourse is no longer sufficient to placate us.

We would also like to thank those who did not support the protest for voicing their concerns in an equally civil manner. Theirs too is a voice that deserves to be heard.

We love this University and are proud of people who strive to make it better whether they are hard working faculty, concerned members of BYUSA, or students like us seeking reform. The flaws that exist in the current system are not ones that can be ignored. We must all work together to make a positive difference.

Thank you to all who have dared to think.

Thank you to all who have dared to speak.

Thank you to all who will now seek change.

Kate Kelly

Hood River, Ore.

Neil Ransom

Fargo, N.D.

Ashley Sanders

Salt Lake City

Appalling ad

As a communications student, I was delighted Tuesday, Apr. 4, 2006, to read about the numerous awards The Daily Universe received for excellence in journalism. I was appalled, however, at the advertisement for Axe deodorant located on the reverse side of the article. It amazes me that an advertisement that refers to daughters of God as “pretty young things,” “females,” “hotties” and “Drama Queens” could actually be published in a newspaper that is partly funded by tithing donations. As if the degradation of women weren’t bad enough, the full page ad, which is a mock obituary, makes mention of a victim’s inability to “console himself with his dominant hand” due to injuries sustained while having his “game” killed.

Yet another column in this porcine piece of trash tells of a student getting his “arse unceremoniously handed to him.” While references of manual stimulation and posterior portions of the body might seem funny to some, I find it absolutely disgusting. For the first time in my four years of reading The Daily Universe, I lost the spirit. This is simply unacceptable, and I would expect nothing less than a written apology from the D.U. staff in the next edition as penitence for their severe indiscretion.

James Potts

Atlanta

Editor’s note: The Daily Universe did indeed publish an apology today. It is included here.

______________________________________________

To our readers:

On occasion, in spite of normal controls, mistakes happen. An advertisement in Tuesday’s newspaper (April 4, 2006) embarrassed our readers. We apologize to our readers, without whom we could not exist.

The Daily Universe is a student-mentored lab operation that functions in support of the journalism curriculum within the Department of Communications at Brigham Young University. Faculty and staff are responsible for oversight and content of The Daily Universe and work long hours to ensure a quality product daily.

We ask for your forgiveness. With sincere concern and remorse, we will strive to avoid further errors and continue to provide quality news material and advertising to this campus.

Sincerely,

Robb Hicken,

Managing Director

_______________________________________________

BYU can’t legally say why

Upon reading the list of grievances for last week’s protest, I couldn’t help but disagree with the accusations that the BYU administration is concerned with “image first, people second,” or that they favor “maintaining the status quo over honest moral action,” and I know that “hush money” is not part of the “proper protocol” at BYU. Not only are these sweeping generalizations, but sweeping generalizations asserted on the basis of partial information concerning an isolated event.

It must be remembered that Todd Hendricks was not dismissed solely for voicing his opinion. There were “other reasons” for his dismissal – this is a fact that he himself has neither denied nor clarified. No one knows the other reasons for his dismissal, and until those facts are brought forward all arguments are and will be founded on the basis of assumption. While the general student body may assume what it will, the administration cannot, in its own defense, divulge this private information concerning the dismissal of its employees because of privacy laws. This leaves the administration wide open to criticism and protests with no avenue for self defense, which is exactly what is occurring.

Curtis Smith

Brawley, Calif.

Some girls like facial hair.

I’m getting tired of all the girls who write in to complain about guys not shaving (“It’s not that hard to shave,” April 3). To be honest, some girls like facial hair, and some don’t. Get over it. If I have a goatee, it doesn’t mean I worship Satan or am part of a heavy metal band. Perhaps these girls should try to shave their legs every single day and see how it feels after a month. I’d bet money that they start complaining too.

My problem with the facial hair clause of the Honor Code is that I don’t need to shave every single day to prove that I’m a disciple of Jesus Christ. Yes, I chose to come to BYU, and I signed the Honor Code. I believe, however, that it is my right to question whether having facial hair should still be considered to be something that makes a guy “unkempt.” After a wonderful conference emphasizing the acceptance of others no matter their appearance or beliefs, I think that we could all take a cue from the prophet to consider this rationally without blindly accepting what we’re told.

Eric Van Quill

Pewaukee, Wis.

The current apostles shave

Recently, many people have been talking about re-writing or changing the Honor Code. I do not see the need for such changes. In Monday’s letter, “Outdated standards,” it was suggested that beards be allowed in the Honor Code. Yes, in the early years of the church beards seemed to be accepted without a problem – even the prophets and apostles had them. Yet today, as we all had the opportunity this weekend to see during General Conference, none of our general authorities have beards, goatees or mustaches. Should we also change with the world and change our standards just to fit in? I think we should continue the great tradition of BYU by keeping the Honor Code the same. I am glad to be at a university with a strict Honor Code. It is one of the many aspects that makes our university so different and wonderful. Let’s keep it that way!

Scott Egan

Bothell, Wash.