Readers’ Forum, Feb. 24, 2006

59

Who will listen to violence?

Shereen Salah recommended “learning the topic before firing an inescapably biased letter.” I couldn’t agree more, and I’d like to add the importance of keeping evidence in context.

Free speech is not out of order. The censorship of Jesus cartoons by the Danish newspaper was a business decision, not a religious one. Selling to a predominately Christian audience, they withheld some things because of the potential loss of business, not any unified Christian beliefs. There would have been no legal ramifications had they published them, but they chose a different economic path. However, many have and will mock Christ openly, and they cannot be punished by courts of law.

Austria sentenced the British historian to jail for denying the Holocaust because the law has been on several European countries’ books many years (and is currently under review). The law exists because denying the Holocaust is so silly it usually accompanies other forms of anti-Semitism. However, many people in the rest of the “Western community” openly preach it without being jailed.

Shereen offers to peacefully teach how Islamic civilization addressed free speech long ago, but if it involves rioting, threats and violence in response to cartoons, I doubt many will listen.

Mike Rice

Bellevue, Wash.

Google is preparing

I do not claim to be an expert on China’s current socio-political situation. However, I found the editorial on Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2006, editorial attacking Google (among others), to be illogical in its arguments. While cooperation with an oppressive government is certainly not desirable, I would say it is a far cry from “unconscionable.” It appeared that the writer was suggesting that unless American companies can operate on their own terms, they should refrain from dealing with the Chinese government. If U.S. businesses were seeking Nobel prizes instead of attempting to sate investors, perhaps their business policy would reflect those utopian ideals.

Certainly Google, Yahoo, and other companies are aware of the substantial growth potential in the Chinese market. By establishing an infrastructure to distribute information to Chinese citizens, Google is preparing for an era of unrestricted communication. Change initiated through political channels will rely heavily on such established information systems to speed-up reforms. Google is not kowtowing to China as the writer suggested-it is positioning itself for an uncensored future.

Matt Inouye

Herndon, Va.

Google’s right to censor

The Daily Universe editorial board has jumped on the bandwagon of Google-hating.

I must admit that I know nothing about current access to search engines in China. I would assume that Google, Yahoo and others, even if restricted, are an improvement over what is currently available. If that is the case, then I don’t see how these companies are helping the Chinese government “further restrict its citizens’ rights.”

While Uncle Ben shared solid advice, I would avoid quoting movies as the foundation of an argument. The editorial states that these companies are not “[absolved] of the responsibility of standing up for others’ rights.” Since when were companies required to look out for others’ rights, and just what rights are being taken away?

We would all like to see increased access to information in many parts of the world, but it is not our place to impose our will upon others. I am a dirty capitalist pig myself, and as such, I have no problem with Google or anyone else deciding to voluntarily restrict itself in order to comply with laws in other countries. It is their right to do so.

David Nance

Little Rock, Ark.

Enforce crosswalk laws

I have been reading some of the letters posted concerning the crosswalk on 9th East at Deseret Towers. I live in Wymount and therefore use the crosswalk every weekday. I do not mind so much that cars do not stop when I am alone; however, on occasion I travel with my 17 month old son and pregnant wife. I am extremely bothered by driver’s inconsiderate and irresponsible actions while approaching this crosswalk. The crosswalk is clearly marked with warning signs that are not obstructed in any way, and it is lighted at night. If you can’t stop for or see pedestrians in this crosswalk, you should not be driving. Some reasons for not being able to see might include night blindness or just plain reckless driving. Either way, get off the road.

The problem I see is a lack of sufficient enforcement. I have personally witnessed multiple specific infringements of the sections one and three of Utah code 41-6-78, but I have seen only one person caught. I would like to see greater enforcement of these laws with stiffer penalties, specifically a suspension of the license and a hefty fine or possibly jail time would be appropriate, dependant on the circumstance of each case. The solution is to enforce the existing law, not avoid the problem.

Stephen Daniel

Pembroke Pines, Fla.

Crossword life and death

I am writing to represent those of us who live and die by the daily crossword puzzle in The Daily Universe. The Daily Universe has frequently messed up our most beloved section of the paper, and we won’t stand for it any longer. The offenses include repeated puzzles, skipped puzzles and most recently, sizing errors. Unless you can find someway to edit the last page of your paper we are going to take our crossword loyalties somewhere else.

Dave Merrill

Mesa, Ariz.

Encouraging the Senate

It has taken two years, but I am finally fed up with the Utah State Senate. Just as the California State Senate (controlled by Democrats) tried to usurp the people’s will by overturning Proposition 22 last summer, the Utah State Senate (controlled by Republicans) has defeated an increase to the minimum wage and holds hostage the repeal of sales tax on groceries.

Entrenched power breeds contempt for the constituency. I suggest that every student write Utah County Senators, John L. Valentine, Parley Hellewell and Curtis S. Bramble, urging them to remember their duty to the welfare of their constituency and to support the repeal of the sale tax on groceries and an increased minimum wage. Remind the oligarchs of the meaning of public service.

Frank Kelland

Long Beach, Calif.

Solutions, not excuses

“I applaud all of you that lead healthy, active lifestyles.”

That was the last line of Brian Bowen’s letter to the editor from last week. Subsequent editorials have grossly twisted what he said. His point was that obesity is a big problem in America that needs to be addressed, and portraying slim/healthy people in the media is perhaps a way to counteract the problem. Nowhere in the article did it state that we should be going to the gym to look like supermodels; rather, we should go to help us avoid the health complications of obesity.

Did the defeatist “I can’t be perfect so why bother trying” attitude of Amber’s follow-up letter sound like a cop-out to anyone else? And isn’t it ironic that Matt’s follow-up letter tears Brian down for coming to the same basic conclusion – that people should lead healthier lives?

I personally know Brian. He’s not some shallow individual promoting anorexia – he’s just suggesting that many of us should re-evaluate our sedentary lifestyles. Maybe thin models on TV aren’t the best way to achieve this, but at least he’s looking for solutions and not excuses.

Janet Smith

Claremont, Calif.

Club harassment

As I walked into the Wilkinson Center the other day I was harassed by clubs and recruiters for jobs handing out flyers I did not want. Then I was attacked again while I was eating my lunch. This is totally annoying when I have to walk into the Wilkinson Center, and every time I walk or sit down to eat I have to fend off the wolves with their flyers. I would appreciate if something was done to stop this harassment by BYU and hopefully by the common courtesies of the clubs at the booths in the Wilkinson Center. I don’t mind if they say “come join,” or “we have a good job,” but the forcing of flyers into peoples hands is disrespectful. Thanks.

Jeffrey Hammond

Provo