BYU golfer forfeits match to avoid playing on Sunday

156

By Robert Weiler

Even before Saturday”s quarterfinal matches began for the 106th annual Utah State Amateur, the influence of BYU golfers was largely present, with four current members of the men”s golf team in the running, as well as another student at the Y.

But by the end of the day, the influence of one of those golfers created an unusual situation for officials of the longest continual golf tournament in U.S. history at the Jeremy Ranch Golf & Country Club in Park City.

In what would already go down as a historic year for the tournament with the first woman to ever be included in the competition, BYU junior Todd Miller forfeited the chance to compete in the championship match, handing the title over to a fellow BYU student, Clark Rustand.

His reason: the match would be held on Sunday, a day which Miller reserves solely for his religion.

In the second semifinal match of the day, BYU teammates Miller and Clay Bingham faced each other for a chance to compete in the final round the next morning. Miller, however, had something else in mind.

After defeating Bingham 6 and 5, Miller announced that he would not be playing in the 36-hole final round Sunday for religious purposes. Miller said he hoped to persuade his competitor, who had yet to be determined at the time of the announcement, and the Utah Golf Association to postpone the championship match to today, but was willing to forfeit the match if necessary.

“On my mission, we”d ”teach people the importance of the Sabbath,” Miller said on the verge of tears. “I couldn”t teach one way and then do the other. I didn”t want to be a hypocrite.”

Meanwhile, defending champion Tommy Sharp and Rustand were in a heated match and unaware of the situation that had taken place behind them.

But on the 17th green, after Rustand sealed his victory over Sharp, Miller approached Rustand and explained his decision to him. Rustand said he would be fine to play on Monday if the UGA allowed it, and was also willing to accept a co-champion finish, but wanted to play to win.

“That”s why I was playing, because I wanted to play him [Miller],” Rustand said after his conversation with Miller. “But I respect his decision not to play on Sunday.”

When the two reached the clubhouse and spoke with UGA officials about their options, the board of directors decided to stick with tradition and said the final round would be played Sunday morning. If Miller did not show, he would forfeit the match and Rustand would be declared the champion. But since Miller was not about to change his mind, The UGA made the winner”s presentation Saturday afternoon.

Rustand, a 24-year-old from Tucson, Ariz., and return missionary himself, said his decision to play on Sunday is not his preference, but one that comes with his career.

“I”ve made the decision to compete at the highest level, and so it puts me in that place,” Rustand said. “But I”m still keeping my covenants.”

Miller said he had played previously on Sunday during his junior golfing days, but his feelings changed while serving an LDS mission in Chile.

“I don”t look down on anyone that works on Sunday,” he said. “I definitely plan on some kind of career in golf, but my hope and prayer is that I don”t have to work on Sunday.”

Playing for the first time in the tournament, Miller said his original plan was to forfeit his semifinal match were he to make it that far, but decided to play when he learned he would play Bingham.

“Clay is one of the best golfers I”ve ever played with,” he said. “Whether you”re playing ping pong or golf, he”s very competitive.”

While many other athletes have made similar decisions to not play because of their religious beliefs, Miller”s is unique considering his father, Johnny Miller, was a professional golfer in the 70s and 80s before working for NBC Sports as a golf commentator.

Todd”s frustration with the Sunday play in amateur tournaments was not focused on the UGA. He said he was appreciative of the efforts made from the volunteers, course staff and the other players. Todd said he plans on writing a letter to the UGA concerning next year”s tournament before deciding whether or not to compete again next year.

UGA officials said they will consider changing their entry forms before next year to ensure a final match is played.