Government and welfare, not a good mix

53

I have a few comments to make in response to the letter last Thursday, “Only fair way,” about welfare being the government’s job. I must say that Mr. Day has a point when he speaks of there being certain programs that the government needs to run. I for one am grateful for the service those in the national defense give to us.

In regard to welfare, however, I believe the government should have no part in it. The purpose of welfare is to help someone with temporary financial difficulties to get through the hard times. It requires two parts: aid can be rendered to assist the person in trouble to find a steady job and if necessary assistance in the temporal things (food, clothing, money).

The government for one is too large to be concerned for each individual personally. Even states are too large to adequately provide for everyone’s needs. I believe the responsibility lies primarily with churches — of all denominations. This is the kind of thing churches have been doing for centuries. They are close enough to the people to provide for individual needs, yet large enough to organize a system. We should help eliminate poverty. I think all should be involved helping each other out, but our focus is all wrong. Let the government take care of the boarders and trade negotiations and let the churches take care of the people. We might even find that our God provides for his children as he has promised.

Matt Stewart

Boise, Idaho