Ski resorts make changes to accomodate snowfall

49

By MICHAEL C. MERU

Some skiers and snowboarders may understand resorts opening late and closing early due to a lack of snow.

But resorts left riders bewildered last week when they closed because of too much snow.

“Since the day after Christmas, the snow has not stopped,” said Laura Schaffer, communications coordinator at Snowbird Resort. “We got 63 inches in 60 hours.

“The day after Christmas we had to close because of too much snow and avalanche danger. For safety purposes we have had to limit some of the lifts. It hurts short-term, but later in the year it makes for great conditions.”

Since November, The Wasatch Front has received twice as much snow compared to the average over the past decade.

“We have more snow now than we have had in 20 years,” said Krista Rowles, media director at Park City Mountain Resort. “This year we are already at 270 inches and we have only been open for 2 months. Last year we only had 244 inches total.”

All of the resorts located within an hour of BYU are offering more open terrain to riders due to the extensive snowfall that they have received.

“There was so much powder on New Year’s Eve day that the crowds didn’t matter, there was enough for everyone,” said Matt Umbreit, a Sandy City resident. “I think for the next month or so we’ll have a lot of snow, but for after that, I can only hope that it will be this good.”

Not only have the mountains received a lot of snow in the past weeks, but more snow is expected in the next week. According to weather.com, more snow will fall tomorrow and through the weekend.

“We’ve gotten so much snow it’s been crazy,” said Austin Cusak, a BYU student from Fresno, Calif. “I’ve never been snowboarding at a time when it was just, I don’t want to say magical, but everywhere I went you could just find fresh powder.”

Snowbird Resort has already received more than 300 inches of snow since November.

“It finally feels like a real Utah winter,” Schaffer said. “Nine feet in eight days. You can’t beat that.”

Many BYU students are taking advantage of the great powder available at resorts right now, but with classes beginning this week, it may be more difficult for students to find time to get to the resorts.

“I want to quit school just so I can be up there this season,” Umbreit said. “I honestly can’t remember the snow being this good.”