Students board the bus to find love

65

By Avery McKinney

When BYU signed a contract with UTA bus systems, students anticipated traveling to and from campus would be easier and cheaper. But no one planned on the partnership resulting in several successful love connections. For some students who travel by bus everyday, the bus system is a little more then a ride – it”s a chance to meet that special someone.

“It happens quite often,” said Keith Smith, a senior from Columbus, Ohio, when asked how often he meets girls on the bus. “I”ve met a lot of cute girls on the bus.”

For Smith, the bus system has been a chance for him to get to know people who live close to him.

“I live in a prime location in Provo,” Smith said. “There”s tons of college kids all around and riding the bus is a great way to meet them all, especially the ones that aren”t in my ward.”

Smith, who rides the bus at least three times every day, said he has dated several girls who he met while riding the 832 North bus.

“It usually takes a couple of conversations for me to get up the nerve to ask the girl out, but I have taken girls out that I”ve met on the bus,” Smith said. “I haven”t met the right one yet. But even though it doesn”t work out, I have so many more friends because of it.”

Smith is not the only one who socializes on the bus. Other students said they have had similar success stories.

“I met so many cool people on the bus,” said Ginette Methot, a junior from Manchester, New Hampshire, majoring in exercise science. “I look forward to riding the bus because I get to talk to all the cool people I”ve met this semester.”

Methot said the daily ride is almost conducive to love interests.

“A lot of times the bus is crowded, and people have to squeeze in tight so there”s hardly any standing room,” Methot said. “When the bus stops suddenly and you lose your balance, sometimes you bump into people. And if you”re lucky it could be that cute boy you”ve been eyeing all semester.”

Methot said she likes having more people to choose from and the bus allows her to expand her dating horizons.

“There are so many students at BYU and the bus system is just another way to meet them,” Methot said.

Still, some students find the idea of making love connections on the bus ridiculous.

“I have yet to meet someone on the bus,” said Rick Bingham from Centerville. “I just don”t think I”m concentrating on that when I ride after a long day of school. I have so much on my mind with classes and homework that all I”m thinking about is how I want to go home.”

Bingham said he is not opposed to dating people who he meets on the bus if the opportunity presents itself.

“I guess if I met someone, then I would go out with them. But I just don”t see the bus system as one of my main sources for dating,” Bingham said.