Men’s basketball desimates Northwest Sports

84

By Jeff Jordan

The last time former University of Utah guard Marc Jackson played at the Marriott Center he worked BYU. Tuesday night he just plain got worked.

BYU dominated its old rival, Jackson, and his new team in a 104-58 romp over a rag-tag Northwest Sports.

Guard Mike Rose unofficially announced he would not be redshirting his freshman season by scorching Northwest to the tune of 17 points, with all but one point coming from three point range.

“I”m pretty confident that when I get the open shot I can knock it down every time,” he said. “There were a lot of good looks to be had tonight.”

Rafael Araujo, who was held scoreless in the first half, erupted for 14 points in the second half to go with 13 rebounds.

BYU was in the driver”s seat from the opening tip, keeping Northwest off of the scoreboard for the first four minutes.

A three pointer by Rose capped off a 16-2 run in the first half, leading to a 43-24 halftime lead.

The second half of the one-sided contest provided opportunities for BYU to showcase all of its players, including Dixie State transfer Mike Hall, who wowed the Marriott Center crowd with two iron-bending dunks.

Hall said he toned down his aerial act to keep from disappointing Cougar fans.

“I wanted to do something nasty,” he said. “But if I would have missed a dunk, it would have been over for me.”

Ken Roberts lead Northwest with 12 points on 4-12 shooting.

The Cougars open their regular season on Nov. 21 in the Marriott Center against Southern Utah.